Error code -9986 Internal PortAudio error

Hello – I am using MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 and Audacity 2.3.2.

I’m trying to use a Super USB Cassette Capture device to record. Every time I try to record from my device, I get the error code: -9986 Internal PortAudio error. Does anyone know how to remedy this? I bought this device specifically for use with Audacity, so I’m not sure why it is having issues…

Thanks in advance!

Lots of people have trouble with that device on Mac. It shows up as a “PnP Audio Device” and seems to have a habit of disconnecting for no apparent reason. No-one here has found a consistent solution.

Does it have a Pause button? It may be that stopping the device drops the USB connection. So, Pause the device, make the connection in Audacity (using the Device Toolbar), hit Record in Audacity, then un-Pause the device.

Good luck.

– Bill

Hello – I am using MacOS High Mojave 10.14.5 and Audacity 2.3.2.

I’m trying to use a Blue Microphones Snowball iCE Condenser Microphone device to record. Every time I try to record from my device, I get the error code: -9986 Internal PortAudio error. Does anyone know how to remedy this? It appears smm14’s issue is similar to mine but via a different device.

Thanks in advance!

The first thing I’d suggest is checking the USB cable an connectors. If the cable shows any sign of damage, or if the plugs do not feel secure in the sockets, try a new USB cable.
Also worth trying a different USB port on your computer.

Hi, I’ve just had an issue crop up where I get Error code 9986 on Audacity for my Mac.I can’t record sound, I’m running Mojave.

I’ve checked to make sure the device is recognized by the Mac and Audacity is allowed access to the mic. It worked a couple of weeks ago. Nothing has changed as far as I know, except that I took my laptop out of the USA. No new updates as far as I know.

My mic on the device toolbar is locked at the max, but nothing records. I can’t adjust it. I can adjust the built in, which will record. My external mic is a Centrance Micport Pro. I’ve tried different USB ports, that doesn’t appear to be the issue either.

Has anyone run into this issue, and have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Are you saying that your Mac has a built in microphone, and you select that as the recording device in the Device Toolbar, then Audacity records, but if you select the USB mic, then recording fails with:
“Error code: -9986 Internal PortAudio error” ?

If so, that would appear to indicate a problem with the USB mic.

Have you tried rebooting the computer?

Have you tested the USB mic with a different application (such as Garage Band)?

Yes, thanks I can record using the built in microphone on the Mac, I tried Garage Band, it didn’t work.

I took the mic, preamp and USB apart and re connected, now I can record, but the input for the mic in Audacity is still maxed out and I’m not able to adjust that level on the tool bar.

I took the mic, preamp and USB apart and re connected, now I can record, but the input for the mic in Audacity is still maxed out and I’m not able to adjust that level on the tool bar.

I’m a Windows user but I think the Mac is the same -

With a USB mic (or USB interface) the ADC (analog-to-digital converter) is built-into the microphone (or interface) and Audacity simply “captures” the digital audio stream without altering the volume or anything else.

My external mic is a Centrance Micport Pro.

Is that a microphone or an Interface? If it’s what I found online it’s an interface and it looks like it has an analog recording-volume control. That’s what you want. You want to adjust the analog signal going into the ADC.

Thanks RE: the mic level being maxed out. And all the other help from previous posts.

I misspoke, my preamp is a Centrance Micport Pro, I have Neumann mic. The Centrance Micport Pro connects the mic to the computer via a USB cable.
I do adjust levels on the mic. Maybe I didn’t notice the level on the toolbar in Audacity before until I started trouble shooting. I looked up comments here and seemed to have the same issue (or similar settings related to my issue). I had just upgraded to 2.3.3 when I started having trouble so I thought it was all related.

Audacity hive,
I am getting error code -9986. Trying to set up a brand new new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen.
Running OS10.15.6; Audacity 2.4.1.
The Scarlett is set up in my system preferences; shows up in Audacity in both Input and Output; Core Audio selected.
Audacity works fine otherwise, and the Scarlett seems to be working.
All Scarlett software downloaded.

What am I missing?
Thanks!

How have you tested that?

Seeking for help

I am using a macbook the os version is 14.3, the error code 9986 appeared when I connest a rode nt-usb microphone to it. Could anyone tell how to fix it?

Thank you very much

Michael

You don’t say what you have tried.

Have you tried Transport > Rescan audio devices ?

Can you record from your built-in microphone?

i use a zoomH5 as an interface, my experience with error -9986:

1. first start your interfacedevice and make your settings when audacity is closed!!!
  2. start audacity and make your settings in audacity