ACX-check plug-in is 'hidden'

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Angus Freathy
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

ACX-check plug-in is 'hidden'

Post by Angus Freathy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:10 pm

I am on an iMac under High Sierra 10.13.6, using Audacity mainly for audio-book production.
Just updated to Audacity 2.3.0 (known as 'Audacity 2' to my system, as I have kept the predecessor version (2.2.2, I think)) with no apparent issues yet, except that I no longer see the Analyze plug-in 'ACX check'.
I have checked that it is still where it was under 2.2.2 (it is), that it still works under 2.2.2 (it does - I had to re-enable), and also made a duplicate of the folder containing the plug-ins - called it 'Audacity 2' too - but with no success.
Any ideas?? Thanks.

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: ACX-check plug-in is 'hidden'

Post by Trebor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Maybe you're looking for the 'ACX check' plug-in in the effect menu, when it appears in the analyze menu.

Angus Freathy

Post by Angus Freathy » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Thanks 'Trebor' - that was my first mistake (!!), but alas, it's not in the 'analyze' menu either.
Now I have another related issue - the Rx6 plug-in 'mouth de-click' crashes Audacity entirely. This is a serious issue for me, as I get on OK with my first foray into Punch and Roll.
Help again please folks!
Sugna

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:18 am

Angus Freathy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:57 pm
the Rx6 plug-in 'mouth de-click' crashes Audacity entirely ...
There is a free de-click plugin for Audacity which can produce very good results,
see ... viewtopic.php?p=245549#p245549

However that plugin can be slow, (depending on the settings used), and it's not simple to use.

Angus Freathy

Post by Angus Freathy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:11 am

Trebor - thanks again - I am devoted to my current 'flow' which is very efficient for me, so unless I can find a 'fix' for 2.3.0, it looks as though I am going to have either to revert to 2.2.2 or otherwise use 2.3.0 to 'P&R', then close and re-open the project to master under 2.2.2.
Shame.
A

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:06 am

Are you trying to run both Audacity programs at the same time? I don't think you ever said how you were doing this.

The later Audacity programs made you Effect > Add/Remove Plugins and Analyze > Add Remove Plugins before new effects would become visible, even if you installed them correctly.

We are eager to get you off Audacity 2.2.2 because it has a Project Curse. Audacity is intended to Save Project at the same show name and Save As to a new show name. If you Save As to the old, original name, it could destroy your show. If you never use Projects, then none of this will affect you.

Koz

Angus Freathy

Post by Angus Freathy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:57 am

Koz,
Thanks for your input.
No, to be clear (sorry, I lose that capacity occasionally!), I did actually try to run both versions at once - what was I thinking??!! The newer version remained active and the older one did not launch.
I did not reinstall any plug-ins, as they (the Rx6 ones) appeared under the menus you mention. I did try to change from one version to another - something to do with 'VST'? (not in front of my Mac right now and it is almost Midnight here, so will clarify tomorrow), but it made no difference.
As for the 'ACX-check' plug-in, it sits where it always did. After installing 2.3.0, I have a duplicate application (called Audacity 2), as I chose to retain both versions. I duplicated the support file that contained the plug-ins and named it 'Audacity 2', but nothing changed.
I had noticed the 'Project' issue - projects that I had recently saved did not appear under 'Recent', but I could always retrieve them manually, so no real issue.
These two things today (missing Analyse plug-in - ACX-Check), but especially the immediate crash whenever I run the Rx6 Mouth De-click plug-in (reported under your 'bugs' area) are bothering me. I can visualise a work-around, but obviously prefer not to!!
Onward and Upward!
AF

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:39 am

Angus Freathy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:10 pm
... I had to re-enable ...
You do have to click on the "OK" button, (below the "Enable" button), to enable a plugin ...

If a plugin is not enabled it won't appear in a drop-down menu.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 am

It sounds like there's a problem with your plug-in locations.

I'd suggest that you uninstall all versions of Audacity, then reinstall Audacity 2.3.0 in the default location, and then try installing / enabling the plug-ins.

(Audacity 2.2.2 is still available for download, so it could be reinstalled if necessary)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Angus Freathy

Post by Angus Freathy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:47 pm

Thanks to you both, Trebor and Steve,

I will go through the uninstall/reinstall process, although every other plug-in I have is available when I go through the 'add/remove' process.
It really is bizarre, but I am absolutely ignorant when it comes to Mac internals, so going back to square one is perhaps the best approach.

Wondering whether anyone else using 'ACX-check' has had success or frustration?
Angus