How can I get louder music to 'look louder' along wave line while recording?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Gsargent729
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

How can I get louder music to 'look louder' along wave line while recording?

Post by Gsargent729 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:45 pm

My system on my Mac 10.14.1 (Mojave) is set up to record as described in the tutorial but the sound wave 'hugs' both sides of the line all the time. In past recording sessions (several months back), louder music registered as lots of blue on top of and below the line. But now, after a long time away from recording (and with my memory of those settings not clear), I get louder music to show only a little wider blip along both sides of the line and I have to assume it is being heard by the computer; I can certainly hear it. I've just installed version Audacity 2.3.0. (I've not played any back to know if sound is being received properly, and lack of a wider wavelength worries me into thinking it isn't.) Earlier I was recording albums, and now I'm doing cassettes, but I can't imagine that would make a difference.

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: How can I get louder music to 'look louder' along wave line while recording?

Post by Trebor » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:40 am

Zooming-in on the vertical axis makes it "look louder",
(not actually louder though, you need amplify or normalize to make it louder ).

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: How can I get louder music to 'look louder' along wave line while recording?

Post by kozikowski » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:32 am

while recording?
You never actually hit what you're doing. What are you recording, with what and from where? Some microphones and systems are not adjustable in Audacity while recording, some are.

Koz

Gsargent729
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Post by Gsargent729 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:01 pm

I'm playing cassettes in a deck that's routed through an amp into my iMac.