Recording playback sounds distorted

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
wesley0111
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Recording playback sounds distorted

Post by wesley0111 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 pm

Hi there!

I have a question regarding the playback sound of my recordings.
Besically I was recording yesterday and everything worked fine. Today I tried recording in the same setup and the playback sounds very distorted. Like it is recorded to loud, but it actually isn't. I played around with input volume but that doesn't seem to do the trick.
This is my setup

- Imac with High Sierra
- Behringer microphone
- M-audio audiophile interface
- Behringer mixer

The strange thing is that with the Imac's internal mic the recording playback sound fine. But with the behringer it sounds distorted.
Also I tried to record sound in Garageband using the behringer mic. In Garageband the sound is great.

So in conclusion, eveything works great in garageband, but not in audacity. By the way, I didn't do anything with settings. Just selected the M-audio audophile as the input device, like yesterday when it worked fine.

Is there anyone who can help me resolve this issue?

Kind regards,

Wesley

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Recording playback sounds distorted

Post by steve » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 pm

wesley0111 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 pm
This is my setup

- Imac with High Sierra
- Behringer microphone
- M-audio audiophile interface
- Behringer mixer
How do you have this set up? How exactly are all the bits connected? (including your headphones).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)