Projet saving issues

I am currently on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and Audacity 2.1.1

After recording a Live podcast I saved the same way as I always do and when I went to open it the folder was filled with 1000’s of 6 second .au files in all random orders. Is there any way to recover those files without spending hours and hours trying to fit them all back together in the right order.

Thanks for the help

Audacity breaks long tracks into small pieces so it can edit them more efficiently. When you save an AUP project file, Audacity stores all the pieces in a _data folder that has the same name as the AUP file. For example, saving “song.aup” saves the required data pieces as AU files inside the “song_data” folder.

To open the project, open the AUP file then Audacity will load the AU files in the correct sequence automatically.

For further information, see: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_opening_and_saving_files.html

Thank you I did actually already read that in the manual before posting here. My issue is when I do follow that I either get a 6 second audio of all the files mixed together and totally and sounds just like static. Or if I import them all I get 100’s of tracks one on top of the other. What am I doing wrong because the separate 6 second files sound just fine

If you have not closed Audacity, you should be able to Edit > UNDO and get the show back. If it’s a single stereo or mono performance, Export > WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit to get a perfect quality, safety version of the show.

open the AUP file

If you closed Audacity…

What happens if you double click the AUP file with Audacity closed?

If you right-click or control-tap the AUP file, does the Get INFO panel say Open With Audacity?

Did you by any chance use punctuation marks in the filename? I know Macs are pretty good with that, but it’s still dangerous. UPPER CASE, lower case, numbers, underscore and -dash- and the only safe filename characters.

I’m taking this upside down and I can’t think of a way to force normal Audacity to do this, other than having a very damaged AUP file.

If you open the AUP file with TextEdit and read it, does the show name in the text match your show? Do Not save anything.

Koz

Thanks Koz

I think my issue is I do not have AUP file just lots and lots and lots of .au files
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 2.18.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 2.19.12 PM.png

What folder is dallas part 1_data in? Is the a file named dallas part 1.aup in that folder? If not, your project is gone.
– Bill