2.3.0 has lost keyboard input on dialog boxes

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
jarome
Operating System: Please select

2.3.0 has lost keyboard input on dialog boxes

Post by jarome » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:55 pm

On my Mac (Mojave) when audacity wants to change a file name because of illegal characters, it pops up a box with the suggested new name. Previous versions allowed you to hit return to accept the new name. Now it only responds to mouse clicks. This is very difficult and time consuming because the pop-up boxes change size, and it is easy to click cancel by accident, which causes that track to be skipped. On a project with 30 or so tracks, this has really become a chore!

And I reported another bug a long time ago, and it has not been fixed. If you hit command B to add a label, and then go to a different program to say, copy the label contents. If you then return to Audacity by right-clicking the label box, Audacity crashes every time.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: 2.3.0 has lost keyboard input on dialog boxes

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:19 pm

jarome wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:55 pm
On my Mac (Mojave) when audacity wants to change a file name because of illegal characters, it pops up a box with the suggested new name. Previous versions allowed you to hit return to accept the new name. Now it only responds to mouse clicks. This is very difficult and time consuming because the pop-up boxes change size, and it is easy to click cancel by accident, which causes that track to be skipped. On a project with 30 or so tracks, this has really become a chore!
Testing on 2.3.0 with macOS 10.14.1 confirms that this is indeed the case - and testing on 2.2.2 shows that it works there.

So I will log this as a regression bug.

jarome wrote:
And I reported another bug a long time ago, and it has not been fixed. If you hit command B to add a label, and then go to a different program to say, copy the label contents. If you then return to Audacity by right-clicking the label box, Audacity crashes every time.
I cannot reproduce this on my Macbook with Audacity 2.3.0

Can you provide some precise steps for this?

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:31 pm

waxcylinder wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:19 pm
jarome wrote:
Testing on 2.3.0 with macOS 10.14.1 confirms that this is indeed the case - and testing on 2.2.2 shows that it works there.

So I will log this as a regression bug.
Logged as P2 #2027: bug https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2027

Thanks for the report - much appreciated jarome :)

Peter.
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

jarome

Post by jarome » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:06 pm

First right-click the label box. then left-click it. It crashes. See attached report
Attachments
Audacity_dbgrpt-25145-20181107T110126.zip
(13.44 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:56 pm

OOH yes - I can now create this with just the right click on 2.3.0 - and on earlier Audacity versions

I'll be logging this as a P1 bug due to the crash (Audacity should not crash!)

Many thanks for the report jarome 8-)

Peter

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:06 pm

Logged as P1 bug #2028 https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2028

P1 means that we cannot make the next release without fixing this :geek:

One again many thanks for the report jarome

Peter

jarome

Post by jarome » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:46 pm

After a crash, I also get a message that there was a problem recovering my project, but it is always OK.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:09 pm

jarome wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:46 pm
After a crash, I also get a message that there was a problem recovering my project, but it is always OK.
Yes, crash recovery seems to work very well these days :)

Peter

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:26 pm

jarome wrote:
Hi jarome,

we have fixed the crashing issue for the upcoming 2.3.1, but we have a residual bug wherby on returning to the label and right clicking no context menu appears (but at least there is no crash).

The simple workaround is to left click in the label first and then you can right click to get the context menu

Original (closed) bug: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2028

New residual bug: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2044

And right now we are totally baffled as to why the context menu fails to appear. But it only appears to affect Mojave and not Sierra or High Sierra.

Peter

jarome

Post by jarome » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm

The dialog box bug is even more important to me. When you are labeling something with many tracks, it is very tricky and time-consuming to avoid hitting the cancel button by accident when tracks need to be renamed because the dialog box changes width. And frankly, there should be an option to not display these rename dialogs, but to just accept the renames. And also, the auto rename does not if there is more than one illegal character, e.g., two colons.