Help for Audacity on macOS.
This forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".
Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x
- Site Admin
- Posts: 81866
- Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
- Operating System: Linux *buntu
These instructions assume there is a standard installation of Audacity on macOS.
This is covered in the manual
, but a lot of people seem to have trouble, thanks to macOS hiding folders, so here are detailed step by step instructions to:
Reset Audacity to factory defaults
- Ensure that Audacity is completely shut down (reboot the computer if necessary, but ensure that Audacity is totally closed)
- Select and copy this next line to your clipboard (Command + C):
- Open "Finder"
- Click on the "Go" menu, and choose "Go to Folder"
- Right click and "Paste" (or Command + V)
- Delete these three files:
- Launch Audacity
You should then see the "Welcome" screen when Audacity opens.