Unable to record keyboard output using USB

I am using a MacBook Air and is updated to MacOS 10.13.5. I installed the latest Audacity version 2.2.2. I am using the Yamaha PSR I455 keyboard. When I am connecting the keyboard to my Mac using USB it is being recognised as a Yamaha keyboard. Even Audacity recognises it as a Digital Keyboard. But I am unable to record the keyboard output in Audacity. Specifically I cannot set the recording option to USB as I am only getting the option of built-in microphone.

I am new at this so I don’t know if what I am trying can be done or I am making a mistake somewhere. I have searched the forum from top to bottom and all I can see is recording with 6.5mm to 3.5mm jack. But I want to record with a USB.

Please Help.

Please see this FAQ: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_recording_troubleshooting.html#keyboards

I have searched the forum from top to bottom and all I can see is recording with 6.5mm to 3.5mm jack.

I wouldn’t do that, either. I use the headphone jack of my Yamaha to a Behringer UCA-202. The UCA202 is a good stereo play and record USB adapter.

If you have an old enough Mac or a Mac Mini, you have a real stereo record and stereo play built in.

The 13" MBP didn’t have room for that, so you have one hole that can be switched between record and play in preferences… Pick one.

If you have a shiny new Mac … good luck. I think the Mini still has analog connections. I’ve done pro recordings with those analog connections. Nothing to sneeze at.

Koz

Yamaha has a “USB to Host” port and so far I have checked it does not have a MIDI output. I have a USB A to USB B type cable. Is it possible to record without any other piece of equipment?

The keyboard instructions tell us to use the multi-purpose headphone jack to transfer audio.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 17.57.07.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 17.57.21.png
In another listing, besides the obvious MIDI drivers and software, they have something called Musicsoft Downloader.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 17.57.47.png
The way they beat around the bush, I wonder if that’s not a custom Music to MIDI converter. It doesn’t say, “Use this to transfer music or audio.”

Let us know if I got that wrong. I have two Yamaha keyboards and neither of them will transfer sound via the USB connection.

Koz

Hey Koz,

I have seen your post on my article and your previous posts too. I can record with the 1/4th inch pin but I wanted to do it via the USB. The softwares you have posted via the screenshot i have downloaded the same only for MacOS version. Anyways I believe this is the only way I can record with my Yamaha. I even tried GarageBand but its taking only the MIDI inputs with USB even without the driver softwares.

Anyways thanks a lot. :smiley:

P.S.: Musicsoft Downloader is only for windows and is used to transfer styles and other such files to older Yamaha Keyboard where there are no Flash Drive ports. In the official website of Yamaha Yamaha PSR I455 is not compatible with the software and neither is MacOS.

https://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/musicsoft-downloader

I can record with the 1/4th inch pin

But can you do that at the computer end? Unless you have an actual Stereo Line-In, your connection may distort the music or record in mono instead of stereo. Don’t let two blue waveforms fool you. Make sure they’re not identical.

That’s where the Behringer UCA-202 comes in. Good quality stereo recording and playback from almost any computer. Plus, it’s rated for perfect overdubbing should you like to perform overdub with yourself. You typically can’t do that with the computer connections.

Koz