How to remove the beating heart

I am editing 12 videos of a conducting class originally recorded on VHS, each about 1 hour in length; I do not have access to the original tapes.

Throughout the recordings, there is a kind of telltale heartbeat: semi-regular but inconsistent; I say heartbeat but I don’t know what it is.

To make matters worse, it’s a conducting course, and the teacher has a metronome running throughout the entire class.

When I applied Noise Reduction to remove the hiss, I found that it did remove the beating some, especially when I applied it twice, however, when the teacher is speaking, the beats remain to be heard quite clearly.

I suppose a Notch Filter might do the trick, but I can’t seem to zero in on the frequency.

As I mentioned, I have about 12 hours of this, so going through the files and individually removing each heartbeat is a daunting proposition.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go about removing these beats?

Thanks.

As can be seen from a spectrogram view, both of those sounds that you want to remove cover a broad range of frequencies. It is not possible to filter out those sounds without also removing much of the sound that you want to keep.
tracks000.png

De-Clicker plugin gets rid of most of it, see …

the De-clicker settings used.png

Wow, what a fantastic result you’ve achieved! I can’t wait to give this a try. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Trebor, this plugin and your settings are working GREAT! You have saved this project! Thank you so much, so very, very much.