Recorded file slighltly longer (slower) than original

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
rovf
Operating System: Please select

Recorded file slighltly longer (slower) than original

Post by rovf » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:57 pm

(Audacity 2.2.2 on MacOS 10.12.6)

I'm using Audacity to convert Vinyl records into MP4.

I found that the recorded copies, when played back, take about 8% longer in time than the original recordings.

Why is this, and how can I fix it?

Ronald

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Recorded file slighltly longer (slower) than original

Post by kozikowski » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:10 pm

convert Vinyl records into MP4.
Really MP4? M4A??

You can fix the recorded tracks with Effect > Change Speed. The control panel has many different ways to tell it the correction. One of the ways is enter the desired time and the time you have and it will convert one to the other.

Is the expected time the album time or did you actually time the original? USB turntables are not a gift from heaven. They can have some serious problems and playback speed may be one of them. Does your turntable have a wall power adapter or is it trying to run the platter motor from USB power?

Oddly, you probably do not have dropout or other digital damage. That usually gives you recordings that play too fast.

Koz