Converting tape to MP3

With Mac 10.13.4.
After connecting the “super usb cassette capture”,
I select USP PnP audio
In “transport”, I “recheck the audio peripherics”
I “click to start monitoring”
I start the tape player
I click on “record”
But I get this error message: “error opening sound device, try changing the audio host, recording device and the project sample rate”.

see this page in the Audacity Manual: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/error_opening_sound_device.html

And this tutorial set should help you: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_copying_tapes_lps_or_minidiscs_to_cd.html

WC

The second tutorial does not say a word about converting tape to MP3

the first tells:

• “Help > Diagnostics > Audio Device Info… should show the rates the device claims to support.”
    In Help, there are no “diagnostics”/

• Try turning off Transport > Transport Options > Software Playthrough (on/off)
    and
    Try turning off Transport > Transport Options > Overdub (on/off)

But in transport, there are no options!

Both of those imply that you are running an old out-of-date version of Audacity - the latest released version 2.2.2 and the alpha 2.3.0 for the upcoming next release do have those command strings. The Manual link I gave you is for the released 2.2.2 version.

You should upgrade to the latest 2.2.2 version which you can get from here: Audacity ® | Download for Mac OS

WC

I still get the same message: “error opening sound device, try changing the audio host, recording device and the project sample rate”.

So have you followed the Mac instructions in the Check operating system settings on this page: https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man/Error_opening_sound_device

and if so do you Mac settings match your Audacity settings ?

I can see from reviews of your device on Amazon that folk have had that same device working with Audacity: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Super-Cassette-Capture-Converter/product-reviews/B008KXCPLG/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

WC

There is also this page: https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Mac_and_USB_input_devices

Note that the first step is to verify that the Mac can see the audio device and receive audio.

Be aware that others have had problems with that specific device, and getting “USB PnP Audio Device” to show up in Audacity’s recording device menu in the Device Toolbar.

– Bill

I can choose the pnp audio device and micro.

I can record a mp3 file using the microphone.

I cannot with the device.

One issue is that in the utilities of my Mac, I do not find the Audio MIDI Setup.app.

Where can you choose PnP Audio Device? In the Mac’s System Preferences?
When you choose PnP Audio Device in the Mac System Preferences, then play a tape, do you see the input level meter moving, as explained on this page?

I can record a mp3 file using the microphone.

How do you make a recording of the tape using the microphone? Is the sound coming out of the Mac’s speakers?

I cannot with the device.

In Audacity’s Device Toolbar, can you select “PnP Audio Device” in the Recording Device dropdown menu?
– Bill

It should be in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.
– Bill

In mac preferences, the device does not appear, only the internal micro.

I can choose the pnp audio device or micro in the audacity window; of course, I chose the pnp.

I can make a mp3 file with the device and the mac microphone but not from the tape.

Another thing: I can read: “click to start monitoring” only in front of the microphone icon, not the speaker one.

That is impossible. In order to choose “PnP Audio Device” in Audacity, it must be available in Mac System Preferences.

Please try this. Connect the cassette deck to the Mac, insert a cassette and start playing it. Then go to Mac System Preferences > Sound > Input and verify that a) PnP Audio Device can be selected, and b) once PnP Audio Device is selected the input level meter shows activity.

You still haven’t said how you are able to record using the Mac’s internal microphone. Is the sound coming from the Mac’s speakers? If not, where is the sound coming from?

– Bill

Now, I can begin to record a mp3 on the mac but the recording stops after one or two seconds.

When I record from the mac microphone, yes, aftewards, I hear from the mac speakers.

The Mac’s microphone will record any sound in the room, including you speaking. So the question remains: How are you hearing the cassette while recording?

Did you try the steps I asked you to:

Please try this. Connect the cassette deck to the Mac, insert a cassette and start playing it. Then go to Mac System Preferences > Sound > Input and verify that a) PnP Audio Device can be selected, and b) once PnP Audio Device is selected the input level meter shows activity.

– Bill

While recording, I hear the cassette with little headphones.

Yes, I did what you wrote, with success (I co uld see the blue stripes, but for one or two seconds only and then bug.

“once PnP Audio Device is selected the input level meter shows activity”

do you mean even when not recording yet, in which case, no.

What are the headphones connected to?
When you are recording successfully (as far as I can tell this is with the Mac microphone), if you say few words, are those sounds recorded by Audacity?

Yes, I did what you wrote, with success (I could see the blue stripes, but for one or two seconds only and then bug.

So, you get sound from the cassette, but only for two seconds. Correct? That indicates a problem with the connection between the cassette and the Mac
– Bill