crashes

i am using a mac 10.9.5 operating system i am using the latex audacity version and lame v3.99.5 I am trying to convert cassette tapes to MP3 i keep getting crashes and errors saying source device error PLEASE ADVISE

Perhaps your Focusrite solo USB sound card is not connected securely to the Macbook (assuming that you are recording via a Focusrite solo USB on a Macbook).

Steve how would i know if its working right? i do have other devices connected but thats just power not for sound but it doesn’t explain the crashes Any other help would be greatly appreciated

Did I guess correctly that you are recording via a Focusrite solo USB on a Macbook?
What do you mean exactly by “crash”?

the machine is freezing and restarting its crashing. how do i know its focus rite

Let’s start again:

Which version of Audacity are you using? (look for the three-section version number in “Audacity menu > About Audacity”)
What are you trying to do?
What equipment are you using?
What are the steps to reproduce the crash?

ok so I’m using version 2.0.5 i am trying to convert cassettes to an mp3 format using a super usb cassette capture device as soon as it tries to start the transfer the computer freezes and shuts down

That’s a pretty old version. The current version is 2.2.2, which is available via the Audacity website: Audacity ® | Download for Mac OS

That should use the normal / generic USB Audio driver.

Apple (upper left) > System Preferences > Sound > Input.
Your USB device should be visible in the Input tab, and the bouncing sound meters should work when you play a cassette.
Does that work?

i will download the updated version and get back to you

ok so i downloaded the updated version with the mic on it picks up background noises (tv computer clicks dog barking etc) it won’t record from the usb tape deck

Did you connect the usb cassette capture device before launching Audacity? (Note that closing an application window does not close the program on a Mac. You have to explicitly “Quit” the program, otherwise it is still running in the background).

Did you select the usb cassette capture device as the recording device in the device toolbar?

it picks up background noises

It’s picking up the Mac built-in microphone.

What type of machine is it? I’m typing on a Mac Mini and it does not have a built-in microphone.

KOz

no and no Do i have to connect the usb tape device BEFORE i launch Audacity?

its a Mac Book Pro Koz