Static during playback in Audacity only

Audacity Version: 2.2.2

Background: I recorded an interview directly in Audacity, exported it as 16 bit wav, applied effects in RX6 and used levelator then returned the wav file to Audacity. The below issue is the same for the initial exported wav file, before adding effects.

Issue:
When playing the file in Audacity I’m hearing frequent, intermittent crackling/static pops. The file plays cleanly in iTunes, Quicktime, VLC and quick look.

Can’t figure out why this is happening and it’s preventing me from being able to clean up the file since I can’t tell if they are real issues in the audio or just that playback crackle. I’ve attached a very short segment of the audio which has tons of crackles in Audacity.

[Side note: Upgraded to 2.2.2 to see if it helped the issue (it didn’t) and don’t see sync lock in the toolbar anymore. Is there a way to add it?]

I would really appreciate any help, please let me know if any more information is needed.

Sample File:

Solved! Got a tip from another user that it was likely the computer’s processing power. Closed Chrome the RAM hog and the issue went away.

Sync-lock is now in the Tracks menu.
– Bill