Getting "Couldn't find the project data folder" error. What to do?

Help for Audacity on macOS.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on macOS 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
waxcylinder
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Re: Getting "Couldn't find the project data folder" error. What to do?

Post by waxcylinder » Sat May 14, 2022 8:20 am

kozikowski wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:56 am
You know 3.1.4 is not the current, stable, supported Audacity version, right? 3.1.3 is current.

You're complaining about having problems with experimental software.
There is and never will be a 3.1.4 - the next release and the one that is in alpha test (or pre-alpha even and very experimental) is 3.2.0

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * *

kozikowski
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Post by kozikowski » Sat May 14, 2022 10:55 am

There is and never will be a 3.1.4
At least not from Audacity. If you do have a 3.1.4, you may have gotten it from someone else. You can ask them if you have problems.

Koz

LittleMousepad
Operating System: macOS 10.15 Catalina or later

Post by LittleMousepad » Sat May 14, 2022 2:39 pm

My mistake, it is 3.1.3 I'm running, not 3.1.4.

kozikowski

Post by kozikowski » Sat May 14, 2022 5:50 pm

I'm running, not 3.1.4.
We have to build your case with a minimum of information (across multiple time zones), so having a mistake anywhere can cause a lot of confusion.
I also opened the project.aup file in a text editor and updated the projectname attribute to be identical to that of the .aup file.
Did you get all of them? That's not recommended. You should use the listing at the top of the AUP file (the original, real name) and change the name of the AUP file and the name of the _DATA folder to match.

You are correct. They have to be in the same location or folder. They have to be named the same and it has to be the name you gave them inside Audacity (or you have to get lucky).

Did you keep all the original files in case you had to back up and start the rescue process over?

Audacity hates external, network, and cloud drives. It's not arbitrary. Audacity assumes that whatever drive you assign to it can handle the most important, critical, time-constrained jobs. That's not possible if your cloud drive is in the next time zone. So if you do have actual data damage that's probably where it came from. Audacity doesn't understand network collision detection and resend management. Stay on your internal drive until you're finished.

Was this job an edit? If it was then the possibility of total rescue is zero. Sometimes, under certain circumstances, and with the proper magic spells, you can rescue most of a damaged, unedited recording. There have been shows posted on the forum which came back. But those are unicorns.

You should decide what you're going to do if the show doesn't come back in a usable form.

Koz

kozikowski

Post by kozikowski » Sat May 14, 2022 5:56 pm

I liked Audacity 2.4.2 and went from that to 3.1.3. I sent a number of successful shows through 2.4.2.

3.1.3 is expected to open healthy Audacity 2 shows.

Koz