My Cursor Freezes and Spazzes Out When I Try To Record

I’m using Audacity 2.1.0 on Windows 10. I was recording a multi track for a band demo which was working fine a year ago, but I opened it up, hit record, and the black cursor wont move across the screen and record things. It kinda just spazzes. I’ve gone through all of my settings and tried all the solutions on the forum. about this, and the problem is still there with “sound activated recording” on or off. I’ve even tried generating silence in the empty spaces and exporting all the parts and importing them into a new program, but the end up getting out of sync. Does anyone know how to fix this problem in audacity or export the files but keep them as a multi track so I can add more parts?

It kinda just spazzes.

It can do that if the mixer desk or interface has a ratty connection and isn’t delivering the data to either Windows or Audacity.

You can get that if the machine isn’t up to the number of tracks you’re trying to record. There are horsepower requirements.

You can also get that if you’re starting to run out of clean hard drive space. Do you have an SSD? When was the last time you did a drive health check? Just having lots of room doesn’t always do it. If it’s all banged up, there may not be enough room in one place to do a multi-track.

Koz

One more. Are you running stuff in the background? Close all background tasks. No Skype waiting for a call.

Koz