Crashes on close

almost every time on close, bam! (see attached)
did a clean uninstall of previous vs then install latest
its freaking annoying, like that save project prompt, but lets focus on this 1st
audacity.jpg

Which version of Audacity are you using? (look in “Help menu > About Audacity” for the version number)

How exactly are you closing Audacity?
Does the crash occur before or after the “Save Project” prompt?

lastest vs is 2.2.2, closing with the X on upper right corner, crashes after clicking No on the Save Project prompt
I noticed that crashes happen almost all the time with WAV files, none with FLAC or MP3
Ive attached the Media Info from the WAV file: nothing special about it, this is actually the decoded file from the same FLAC file which doesnt crash Audacity
mi-wav.jpg

in case ur wondering what FLAC en/decoder I use, see below. Try it yourself, decode a FLAC file, then edit it with (Open with) Audacity, do nothing but close (X upper right) repeat a few times if it doesnt crash at first, it will eventually then its almost every times

flac - Command-line FLAC encoder/decoder version 1.3.1
Copyright (C) 2000-2009 Josh Coalson
Copyright (C) 2011-2014 Xiph.Org Foundation

In “Edit menu > Preferences > Import / Export”, what are your settings?

there u go
ie.jpg

Try changing the first option (“When importing audio files”) to “Copy uncompressed files into the project (safer)”.

ok, the “Safer” method seems to not crash Audacity anymore, but the “Faster” is, and I bet it does on your system also
thanks for your time Steve

Yes I can reproduce the crash in Audacity 2.2.2, but not in “debug” builds, which most of the developers use, (and is probably why this has not been spotted earlier).
I shall log this on the bug tracker, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next release.

good!
thanks again for your support Steve

Now logged on bug tracker.

http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1869

I cannot reproduce this on 2.2.2 or on 2.3.0 alpha (I am a QAer not a dev so I don’t use debug builds)

Testing on W10 laptop

Steps

1. set prefs to faster aliased import (not copy in)
  2. Imort WAV file
  3. Edit bit - amplify
  4. Export WAV to new file name
  5. top right “X” to close Audacity
  6. choose “don’t save”
    => Audacity closes cleanly with no crash

repeat many times => no crash

In the course of normal QA testing I user that upper right “X” with"don’t save" an awful lot - and I have never experienced such a crash

WC

If you process the entire track, then the project will no longer be using alias files, which seem to be a requirement to reproduce the crash. I suspect a race condition, between cleaning up the “OD Import” and shutting down. If the importer has finished before Audacity shuts it down, then it shuts down cleanly, but if the importer is still working, then it crashes.

These steps reproduce the crash for me, about 1 time in 5:

1. set prefs to faster aliased import (not copy in)
  2. Import a 5 minute WAV file
  3. top right “X” to close Audacity
  4. choose “don’t save”

Yes about 1 in 5 to 1 in 7 for me too if all I do is import and then close

WC