Is this a problem with Audacity or my recording equipment?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
MangoLegs
Operating System: Windows 10

Is this a problem with Audacity or my recording equipment?

Post by MangoLegs » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:10 pm

In all my recordings, there is a buzzing in the background that's pretty noticeable with headphones on. It shows up on the recording feed and the playback feed and isnt a result of any noise in the room, as it was still there after changing rooms. Any help?

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Is this a problem with Audacity or my recording equipmen

Post by Trebor » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:52 am

MangoLegs wrote: there is a buzzing in the background ... isnt a result of any noise in the room
Mains hum and mosquito whine are electrical problems, not due to Audacity.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Is this a problem with Audacity or my recording equipmen

Post by kozikowski » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:08 am

Post a sample. 10 seconds stereo or 20 seconds mono. Export as WAV (Microsoft). Scroll down from a forum window > Upload Attachment.

Mosquito Whine, also known as "Yeti Curse" is a USB connection problem. You'll never guess which microphone has it the most. We designed a special filter to get rid of most of it most of the time, but the real solution is stop using that microphone and computer combination.

If that's what it is. We'll know when we hear it.

Koz