Cannot use this Software!

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
carolwalker
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Cannot use this Software!

Post by carolwalker » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:32 pm

Thanks,

I will try it tomorrow and let you know :)

carolwalker

Post by carolwalker » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi,

I have decided that I am not going to bother to record the vinyl records.........life really is too short for all this messing around. I seem to get stuck on this PC trying to do the most simple thing that turns out to be incredibly complex and time-consuming, and I really don't have the patience. I have Spotify on my PC and I have found all the tracks I want on there. I have made two playlists and obviously, the quality is superior to that of the vinyl and the recordings are not good. I am currently looking into how I can download the playlists to my PC and then put them on a disc. I do have some software to record them as they are playing but it is a trial and only allows 3mins at a time so have to sit there with the on/off button. Not sure if I want to pay for the full version but it is an option as the other way is time-consuming. I have seen various youtube videos on how to get the playlists and download them but none of them seems to work. If all else fails at least I can just listen to them on the PC. I would like to be able to put them on CD so I could listen to them elsewhere but not going to spend days trying to do it. Thanks for your help anyway.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:15 pm

The process is only valid if you have hard to find vinyl or something about the work has sentimental value—and you have a lot of time.

iTunes allows me to purchase music, download it right then, create a custom playlist and burn the playlist to CD, or copy it to a portable device. Windows Media might allow something similar.

Koz

carolwalker

Post by carolwalker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi Koz......

I do have some vinyl records that are not on Spotify but I can find them elsewhere...YouTube to listen to them. I have sent the record player back. To be honest, it seemed like a good idea, but although most of my vinyl records are ok to play ie not damaged the quality is still not as good as digital. I remember the old turntables when you could stack them and each one would drop to play in turn so that you didn't have to play them one at a time! My records do have great sentimental value, the physical vinyl records maybe I will sell or my daughter will. I know it is in great demand at the moment, maybe more in the future or less. It is hard to anticipate if they will be worth anything in years to come. I do have some that are rare and I could sell now (Beatles) for example but think I will hold on to them for now. I have found most of them on Spotify and it is great to listen to them in digital quality. I have downloaded a FREE Sound Recorder (without any limitations or cost or malware) just have to decline the offer or participating in some sort of data collection LOL......very current! I thought when I declined I would not be able to download it, but it worked ok. It does not individualise the tracks and name them etc. It will just record the music as it plays one track after the other. Each time I stop record and start it will save as another file. I am getting through my playlist which is over 5 hours long! It is saving to my computer MP3 files and then I can play it in iTunes. I am then saving it in iTunes as Playlist that I can burn to CDs. I just wanted them on CD so that I can listen to them elsewhere other than on the PC and also when I am in the garden.......if we ever have a summer: x It is the best workaround I can find and the quickest solution. Before I had no option to listen to them at all but now I have then on Spotify and can now put them on CDs with this software. It may not be the most technically perfect option but it is good enough for me, and it has cost me nothing and it won't mean spending hours in front of the PC. I like the results of Tech but I don't like the time it takes to do stuff and usually find a way to do what I want in the end. Thanks for all the help..... :)

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:00 pm

I skip the disk step and move the playlists to my Personal Music Device for hiking or gardening.

There is a fuzzy recommendation to not immediately trash your music collection just because you digitized it. Nobody pays attention to the digital archive rules and you could open up your sound files and find them damaged—or refuse to open at all.

First Level:

-Save the works in WAV (Microsoft) and not MP3. MP3 is lovely and efficient but comes with compression distortion and it's hard to edit, correct, or turn into anything else.

Be able to point to two different places that store your work. This might be a good place for Cloud Storage in addition to your local hard drive(s). One place is obviously risky and nobody keeps up three.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:02 pm

There's nothing wrong with MP3 if used as intended. As an end product in your personal music device. Full stop.

Koz