Pitch change in recording

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Pitch change in recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by TulsaMJ » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:47 pm

I've started having a weird problem - I've used Audacity for years with an old Tascam USB audio interface (US-428) to record into various computers - my current computer being a fairly recent-vintage Windows 10 machine. Last week I attempted to record several minutes of audio from my keyboard into Audacity, and on playback I found that partway through the recording, the pitch shifted down about 3/4 of a pitch (input was in the key of D, and the recording had shifted to the crack between C and C#). On another try I got the first stereo track to record correctly, but now every time I try to lay an additional audio track, the new audio is pitch-shifted down. I can reproduce this by starting a new project, recording a "D" from my Tunity app (playback plays "D"), adding a new track, recording "D" on the new track (during recording I hear the original "D" and the new one) - when I playback I hear two distinct pitches. On the current version of Audcity, the second recording shows a bunch of "dropout points" after it is recorded. I tried all kinds of things to fix it:

• Toyed with various controls in Audacity
  • Plugged USB cable into a different USB port
  • Checked every control on the US-428
  • Researched audio latency
  • Uninstalled unrelated but unused software
  • Ran dpclat and LatencyMon to see if they could find a latency problem (they didn't)
  • Tweaked sample rates between 44100 and 48000
  • Checked the battery in my mic direct box (!) (Hey, it was worth a shot!)
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled Audacity using "reset my preferences" (so now I'm on 2.2.2)
Nothing helps! I should mention that I have Anvil Studio installed, and I can record multiple audio tracks in that without seeing this behavior. It seems like Audacity is the only common denominator, but like I said, I've used Audacity literally for years and never seen anything like this.
TulsaMJ

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Pitch change in recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:08 pm

Windows enhancements can shift the pitch, and should be disabled ...
viewtopic.php?p=317032#p317032
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Pitch change in recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by TulsaMJ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:44 am

Well, I may have solved the problem, so wish me luck. There are no Windows Enhancements on the drivers for my device, but I did discover that the "Default Format" for the playback for the device was set to 48000 Hz somehow, when I always run in 44100 Hz. When I matched that up, the problem seems to have gone away. I'm too tired to work on recording tonight, but I'll post a follow-up here when I get back into it and do some more multitracking.
TulsaMJ

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Windows