How to record to external device?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Re: How to record to external device?

Permanent link to this post Posted by pcauda » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:14 pm

kozikowski wrote:
But thanks, will check it out.

I don't think Labels is going to do what you want, but read up on it. Index marks burned into the sound file is what most people want, but the native WAV format doesn't allow that. That's the warning that it's going to fall apart when you leave the recorder.

Labels is a separate service and I believe it doesn't follow a file export. It's sometimes not all that valuable inside Audacity, either.

Yep, checked it out - Audacity labels won't do it, nor does Audacity support index marks.

kozikowski wrote:
Olympus claims to be able to record from Something Else through the external microphone jack.

Excellent, thanks for the info. KA-333 lead - that should do the trick.

Appreciate your help.
pcauda

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Now that it's too late.

That adapter may not be the one for you. Turns out the tape (actual tape) machines took a smaller connection and not the standard 3.5mm we all know and love. I did it with a standard cable and a stand-alone adapter. 3.5mm > 2.5mm. I also took the opportunity to convert from the mono tape to the stereo computer connection.

And you thought this was going to be easy.

OlympusTapeAdapterCable-500T.jpg
OlympusTapeAdapterCable-500T.jpg (107.71 KiB) Viewed 206 times

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by pcauda » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 am

Well, I checked it out and apparently the KA-333 lead should work fine for recording from a computer to the Olympus, (both of which have 3.5mm jacks of course).
pcauda

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:09 pm

Worth the warning. After I posted that, I thought, wait, mine doesn't work like that......

So somebody is still wrong. The illustration shows an Olympus tape machine connection.

It wouldn't be the first time Promotion and Publicity got the illustrations wrong. Do you have the cable in your hand?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pcauda » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:01 pm

Nope, don't have the cable yet. Was looking at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-KA-333 ... B000ET6ACE

But £20 for a cable? Crikey.
pcauda

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:48 pm

pcauda wrote:Nope, don't have the cable yet. Was looking at this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-KA-333 ... B000ET6ACE

But £20 for a cable? Crikey.

Ah - but that's not just an ordinary cable - that's an "Olympus cable" ;)

You should try the spare battery and external charger I needed for my Olympus TG-4 camera if you wanna see some steep pricing
:o

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 pm

They covered their bases by selling you a conventional 3.5mm stereo cable and two 2.5mm adapters. So you are totally covered.

This isn't as crazy as you think. The adapters are 3.5mm stereo to 2.5mm mono. plus the cost of the regular stereo cable (about $5 usd). I don't remember where I got mine from, but I remember it was a search.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pcauda » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Yes, but remember I don't need the 2.5mm adapters, since my PC audio-out port is 3.5mm as is the mic port on my WS-832.

So seems like a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is only required, which is what I've ordered from eBay. No need to fall for Olympus' trap of paying ridiculous prices for a glorified branded cable.

Will post back my results once tested.
pcauda

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:45 pm

Will post back my results once tested.

Yes, and both ends are stereo, unlike the tape machine.

I haven't tried this but I believe the WS-823 connection is microphone, not line level. So you have have some interesting times adapting the volumes so everyone is happy.

I recently did testing on the Olympus TP-7 microphone.

I know it works as a stand-alone telephone microphone (above), but I never tried it with the portable recorder.

Sure enough, you jam that in your ear and put your cellphone on top of it to record both sides of the conversation. And you can do it anywhere there isn't a high wind or competing loud noises.

Amaze your friends.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Windows