feedback when recording

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

feedback when recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by Hasher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 am

I cannot explain why I can do 7 or so recordings of a piano playing a song with no changes and yet some of the recordings will have feedback, of varying intensities, for no apparent reason. I am not an expert on Audacity but I enjoy the program very much and it is most helpful in recording the various parts of a song that is sung in Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass. perhaps some-one has had an experience similar to mine.
Thanks,

Hasher
Hasher

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: feedback when recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Is this regular-old acoustic feedback (squeal) where the microphone picks-up the sound from the speaker in a loop, or is it from inside the computer (where it's more like a delay-echo)?

If it's internal to the computer, make sure you've selected the microphone as your recording device (assuming you're using a microphone)... Don't use "loopback" or "stereo mix", etc.

Tell us a little more about your setup... Are you monitoring the backing-track on headphones? Do you have an audio interface or are you using the microphone built-into your laptop, or a mic plugged into your laptop? Are you recording an acoustic piano with a mic, or an electronic piano with a direct-connection? Anything else you can tell us?
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Windows