Move a part of an audio track?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Move a part of an audio track?

Permanent link to this post Posted by JesW87 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 am

Hi,
Is there any way to select a part of an audio track and move ONLY that section of the track
WITHIN the audio track (not duplicating it and moving it in a new track)? Like, say in one audio track,
I have a waveform and at about 6 seconds in I would like there to be a 2 second period of silence after
which the track resumes where it was. I know this could be accomplished by ending the track at that point, and then just
duplicating the rest of it into a new track and sliding it. However, what I want to know is if it is possible
to achieve this same effect by simply somehow grabbing that section of the track and sliding it to the right.
JesW87

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Move a part of an audio track?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:01 pm

JesW87 wrote: I have a waveform and at about 6 seconds in I would like there to be a 2 second period of silence
after which the track resumes where it was ...

Move the cursor to 6 seconds, then generate 2 seconds of silence.
Or insert a boundary at 6 seconds to split the track, then use the time-shift tool to insert the silent gap ...

split demo.gif
split demo.gif (207.35 KiB) Viewed 103 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Return to Windows