How to transf music from mixer to laptop?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

How to transf music from mixer to laptop?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rub3y » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 am

I'm trying to get my recorded songs on my mixer to my laptop. 2 RCA plugs come out of the mixer and as I understand, I need a USB audio interface, I think. I have no idea which one to buy and what effect this has on the quality of the songs I transfer.

Below are some specs of my laptop/mixer. I don't know a lot about this so I hope someone can explain and help me with this problem. If you need more information/pictures, please ask.

Specs laptop:

Processor: Intel i5-6200U CPU @2.30GHz
RAM: 16.0 GB
System type: 64 bit

Specs mixer:

Roland 24 bit digital studio workstation VS-1680
https://www.roland.com/us/products/vs-1680/
Rub3y

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: How to transf music from mixer to laptop?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Some people have had luck adapting the laptop headset connection to entertainment sound use, but I haven't.

I use the Behringer UCA-202.

It's hard to beat. Stereo in and out and a switchable headphone connection. It's rated for perfect overdubbing, zero latency monitoring and headphone mixing.

It comes in a UCA222 version and near as I can tell, the only difference is the red paint job.

It also comes as a UFO-202 which has a built-in phono preamplifier for connection to an analog turntable. Note you give up some headphone tricks to get that preamp.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:37 pm

Rub3y wrote:I'm trying to get my recorded songs on my mixer to my laptop...
Specs mixer:

Apparently you can export digitally, (rather than analog), via 3rd party software ...
https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowledge_base/201974249/
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rub3y » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:41 am

kozikowski wrote:Some people have had luck adapting the laptop headset connection to entertainment sound use, but I haven't.

I use the Behringer UCA-202.

It's hard to beat. Stereo in and out and a switchable headphone connection. It's rated for perfect overdubbing, zero latency monitoring and headphone mixing.

It comes in a UCA222 version and near as I can tell, the only difference is the red paint job.

It also comes as a UFO-202 which has a built-in phono preamplifier for connection to an analog turntable. Note you give up some headphone tricks to get that preamp.

Koz

Thanks for the information, this really helps a lot! :) Can you explain what the advantages are of a phono preamplifier? I searched it on the internet, but I don't really know if I need this.
Rub3y

Permanent link to this post Posted by Rub3y » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 am

Trebor wrote:
Rub3y wrote:I'm trying to get my recorded songs on my mixer to my laptop...
Specs mixer:

Apparently you can export digitally, (rather than analog), via 3rd party software ...
https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowledge_base/201974249/

It looks like I can't download those 3rd party software amymore :/ But thanks for the tip!
Rub3y

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Rub3y wrote:Can you explain what the advantages are of a phono preamplifier?...

phono preamplifier is only useful if you are connecting a turntable, (playing old-fashioned vinyl records), to the computer.
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:17 pm

It looks like I can't download those 3rd party software amymore :/ But thanks for the tip!
From what I read on the Internet, your "mixer" can write to a CD. So it you could digitally transfer the audio to the computer via CD and avoid the extra digital-to-analog-to-digital conversions. Although it will be less convenient.

Can you explain what the advantages are of a phono preamplifier?
If you don't have a turntable you don't need that feature. ;) 1. A phono cartridge puts-out a few millivolts (similar to a microphone). The signal needs to be amplified to line-level (about 1V). The output from a mixer, or CD player, or TV, etc., is line level.

2. Vinyl records are RIAA equalized. The highest frequencies are boosted by about 20dB and the lowest frequencies are cut by about 20dB. The preamp applies (playback) RIAA equalization for (approximately) flat frequency response.

...In the "analog days" stereo receivers had a built-in phono preamp (rare today). DJ mixers, have phono preamps built-in.
Some modern turntables (including USB turntables) have a built-in preamp so you can plug them into a modern stereo system without adding a separate preamp. (Higher-end turntables are still built the old way with no active electronics.)
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Return to Windows