starting

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Electric_Dreamer
Operating System: Windows 10

correcting amplitude

Post by Electric_Dreamer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:33 am

Hello!
I have made many cross-fade operations, and now the amplitude sometimes becomes smaller, which is not the purpose. I think there is a different cross-fade Nyquist plugin (do you know?), but I don't want to the same work again. Is there a tool for making the amplitude remain always the same? Other question: In one place the amplitude has a peak. Can it be corrected?
Jukka
Photo1.png
Amplitude
Photo1.png (42.79 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Photo2.png
Peak
Photo2.png (45.22 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Last edited by steve on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Place images inline to preserve board layout

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: starting

Post by steve » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:12 am

See these two effects:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/crossfade_clips.html
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/cros ... racks.html

The former is the quicker / easier, and the second is the more complex and more flexible / powerful tool.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Electric_Dreamer

correcting amplitude

Post by Electric_Dreamer » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Hello again.

Thank you for answer. Please answer all 4 questions.

I used "crossfade tracks" many times yesterday and mixed everything to one track.

But the question is this:
How do I correct the mixed result (instead of doing one day of work again) to make the volume (= amplitude) remain always about the same?
When cross-fade is made, the mixed result is usually weak (= low amplitude) at the middle.

Another question:
About equalization: I would like to amplify a very narrow frequency area (something like 694...702 Hz) and make other frequencies nearly inaudible. How can I zoom EQ to amplify such an exact detail?

Still third question:
I have some recorded sounds from the streets. I have modified them in many ways, and often I transpose (change pitch=frequencies) the sounds much lower. But sometimes Audacity says something like this: "There is no space to make it lower anymore." What space does Audacity mean? How can the material be made still lower in that situation?

Even fourth question:
I have been doing slow pitch shifting for example like this:
5.365 sec from beginning: pitch shift upwards starts
17.843 sec from beginning: pitch is now 0.325 semitones higher than the original tone and starts descending back to the original one
29.634 sec...: the original pitch
When the direction of pitch shift changes, especially 17.843 sec, Audacity does not make the result softly. The pitch and dynamics (= amplitude) make sudden unwanted steps. Is there a solution?
Do you know what i mean? A plugin, which has a long list of events and times, would be good, like this (under each time should be a sliding value):
Time (seconds from beginning) 6.387 18.049 25.398 41.476 47.981
Sliding (semitones) 0 0.328 0 -0.328 0
Is there that kind of plugin? I was thinking about using paulstretch without stretching at the turning points. Do you think it would help?
Jukka

Electric_Dreamer

P.S.

Post by Electric_Dreamer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:30 am

P.S. Please answer.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:00 pm

Electric_Dreamer wrote:How do I correct the mixed result
While audacity is a terrific audio editor, and can even be used for quite complex multi-track projects, it is not the best tool for every audio job. For complex mixing tasks, another type of program called "real-time digital audio workstation software" ("DAW" for short) may be a better choice.

In audio editors like Audacity, when you apply an effect, the effect is applied to the selected audio and changes the audio data there and then (sort of WYSIWYG). This differs from how typical DAWs work. When you apply an effect in a DAW, the effect is not immediately applied to the audio data, the effect acts on the fly during playback without changing what's in the track. This allows you to modify or remove effects at any time. Effects in DAWs are only applied to the actual track data when you mix the project down at the end and export the finished work.

Some common DAWs available for Windows include: Reaper, Sonar, Cubase, ProTools, and many more.
Electric_Dreamer wrote:I would like to amplify a very narrow frequency area (something like 694...702 Hz) and make other frequencies nearly inaudible.
Note that when filtering audio, the "filter frequency" is not an absolute cut-off. (see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/high ... ilter.html)
With the Equalization effect you can achieve a pretty steep cut-off response by increasing the "Size" parameter in the "Draw Curves" mode. For more information, see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/equalization.html
Electric_Dreamer wrote:But sometimes Audacity says something like this: "There is no space to make it lower anymore."
I don't recognise that message. You will need to tell us precisely what the message says.
Electric_Dreamer wrote:Is there that kind of plugin?
Not that I'm aware of, though if you are changing pitch and tempo together, then you could use a "Time Track" (see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/time_tracks.html)

Electric_Dreamer

-40....-27.....-5.....-27.....-40

Post by Electric_Dreamer » Tue May 08, 2018 6:00 am

Hello.
You wrote "If you change pitch and tempo tohether...". I don't change tempo. In my piece there is no tempo. There is only time-axis.

But I have a new question:
I want to do this kind of amplitude shifting to a long tone:
-40....-27.....-5.....-27.....-40
Is there an easy way to do it? I have been thinking about making 2 tracks and mixing them, but it's time-consuming.

Jukka

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue May 08, 2018 7:57 am

Electric_Dreamer wrote:I don't change tempo
In the context of audio effects, "changing the tempo"just means "changing the speed without changing the pitch".
Electric_Dreamer wrote:I want to do this kind of amplitude shifting to a long tone:
Sounds like you need the Envelope Tool.

Electric_Dreamer

about click removal and amplitude

Post by Electric_Dreamer » Thu May 31, 2018 5:17 am

Good morning.
I have used random cutoff Nyquist effect to my sounds. I noticed that using click removal makes the wanted crispy sound effect even stronger. But unfortunately the amplitude becomes smaller. How can the change of amplitude be avoided?

Electric_Dreamer

About click removal and amplitude

Post by Electric_Dreamer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:47 am

Good morning.
I have used random cutoff Nyquist effect to my sounds. I noticed that using click removal makes the wanted crispy sound effect even stronger. But unfortunately the amplitude becomes smaller. How can the change of amplitude be avoided?