Audacity not enabeling gsnap

So i downloaded gsnap and as told in multiple tutorials copied the dll into the plugins folder, then enabled it, and restarted the program… Didn’t work. I’ve tried a lot of things. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks.

Ensure that you have the 32-bit version of GSnap.
If you require further help, please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version of Audacity from “Help menu > About Audacity”.

It took awhile to get GSnap to work after reading some of the other posts found on this forum. Here are the steps that I took to get it to work (not in that order as I had to try several different things to get it to work):

1. Download the 32-bit version of GSnap and unzip it in its own folder somewhere on your computer, not in its destination for Audacity.
  2. Copy the dll file.
  3. Open up the folder called C > Users > <your_user_name> > AppData > Roaming > Audacity >Plug-ins
  4. Paste dll in that folder.
  5. Open Audacity and open Edit > Preferences.
  6. Under Effects, make sure the VST is selected. Under Maximum effects per group (0 to disable) > , enter in a number greater than 0. See the field provided where is says “(0 to disable)” - this should mean that if it is not a number greater than 0, it will not work.
  7. Open the following: Effect > Add/Remove Plug-ins.
  8. Scroll down to GSnap. Select the correct GSnap by checking the file path to see that it matches the file location provided above. Click Enable. Click OK.
  9. Make a recording then select the portion you want corrected. The GSnap VST effect was found under Effects > Plug-ins 1 to 10 > GSnap. Follow a tutorial or the manual for changing the settings and applying the VST effect.

Even though my Audacity is a 64-bit program, GSnap 64-bit will not work here. You can check to see if your Audacity is 32-bit or 64-bit by checking the folder where it is installed.
32-bit Audacity: C > Program Files > Audacity
64-bit Audacity: c > Program Files (x86) > Audacity
This information might be important for other circumstances when using Audacity.

The official releases of Audacity are currently 32-bit only. 64-bit builds should be available soon, but there have been no official 64-bit builds to date.

Here is the link to one of the other posts that helped me to understand how to get the GSnap VST working on my PC:

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/gsnap-gvst-not-enabling-or-showing-up/44819/1

Thanks to those people.

Thanks for that information. I had misunderstood the difference between the Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. I see that Audacity is installed in the Program Files (x86) directory which I now know to be for 32-bit programs. A websearch on the topic cleared that up.