No Sound in Headphones on playback

Im brand new to this, so forgive me for not knowing technical terms…

I am not hearing anything upon playback in my headphones after recording. I can hear my voice when recording, though. If I change the output in the drop down away from my Audiobox USB96 to the computer speakers, I get sound.

Two questions, I guess:

1. How do I get playback sound in my headphones

2.If I can’t change this output dilema, will this affect anything once I upload the podcast to another platform? Will others have the same issue if they download?

Are he headphones plugged into the Audiobox?

If you select the correct playback device, they should work.

Do the headphones work when you listen to something with Windows Media Player?

2.If I can’t change this output dilema, will this affect anything once I upload the podcast to another platform? Will others have the same issue if they download?

If someone can play a WAV or MP3 file, they should be able to play your MP3 or WAV file.

If I plu headphones directly into my computer, they work. They also work when plugged in to the Audiobox USB96 while Im recording, but nothing when I try to playback what I Just recorded.

Does playback worth with the Audiobox USB96 from other applications (such as Windows Media Player)?

I am really sad because I have spent HOURS trying to fix this issue in audacity. I have version 2.3.3 and I am on Windows 10. I downloaded audacity fine, two days ago. Headphones were working. I unplugged my usb mic for one day on my laptop and the next day I plugged it back in. The headphones are plugged into the usb mic and the mic is into the laptop. Now I can’t get sound on playback through the headphones! It only works if I switch the speaker on the laptop. I tried to rescan audio. I deleted audacity and reinstalled. I did everything and watched a million videos!!! Nothing is working. Please help!!!

I am having the opposite problem but I can’t find the appropriate board sorry. Headphones work on playback but I can’t hear what Audacity is recording, which has been catastrophic a couple of times. Features:

• Audacity 2.4.2 running on Windows 10 on an XPS15
  • Audio Host: MME
  • Playback Device* - Speakers/Headphones (Realtek(R)
  • Playback volume 0.84 (system volume %)
  • System sound: “Speakers/Headphones (Realtek(R) Audio)”

*I note it says playback – am I expecting too much to hear what Audacity is recording? Is there another function I’ve ignored?

Thanks so much :pray:

That depends on two factors:

1. What hardware you are using
  2. Is it acceptable for there to be a half second delay to what you are hearing.

If a delay is acceptable, then you can use “Software Playthrough” (in “Transport menu > Transport Options”).

If a delay is not acceptable, then you need to use an audio device that supports “zero latency monitoring”.
Most (but not all) USB audio interfaces support zero latency monitoring. Your headphones must be plugged into the USB audio device to take advantage of this.

A few USB microphones provide zero latency monitoring. Again, to take advantage of this your headphones must be plugged into the microphone. If the USB microphone does not have a headphone socket, then zero latency monitoring is not available.

On-board sound cards virtually never support zero latency monitoring.

@DysatisfunctionaLuke

I can’t hear what Audacity is recording, which has been catastrophic a couple of times.

You can do that with restrictions. When I shot this production, I was listening to Audacity with good sealed headphones (on the left) so I could hear what Audacity was doing even past the half-second delay. I also had available the real-time mixer on its own headphones (center). The performer was talking to the interviewer on the electric telephone and just ignored me by request.

You can get conflicts when you use a general purpose computer to do sound recording. My dedicated Zoom H1n sound recorder will happily drive my wired headphones with their own volume control at good quality in perfect real time. The instructions insist I can do overdubbing as well, but that will need to wait for much stronger coffee. The H1 works perfectly, but its controls and instructions can be a little stiff.

Forum posters have claimed to use all the Zooms H1 through H6 (missing the H3).

We should note that wireless headphones present some interesting conflicts since you can’t plug them in wherever you want—they’re married to the computer—and they can cause quality and distortion issues. Also, everybody on Earth wants to record Skype and Zoom performances, and the computer, unless specially provisioned simply doesn’t have enough sound channels for that.

What’s your show and what problems did you have?

Koz