MP3 Recordings are Bassy as heck.

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

MP3 Recordings are Bassy as heck.

Permanent link to this post Posted by whatshisname » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Heyy, I just got a new laptop about a week ago. And i normally record songs off spotify and put them onto audacity then export them.

However, since i've tried to record some songs they've ALL turned out very bassy. Its really annoying, it would be appreciated if you could help out and post any suggestions? :D
whatshisname

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: MP3 Recordings are Bassy as heck.

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 pm

If you are using "Stereo Mix", try switching to "WASAPI Loopback". If that doesn't help, look for a setting in Windows or your soundcard utility (if your computer has one) that's tying to "enhance" the sound.

Audacity itself only records what's fed-into it... Something else has to be messing-up the sound before it gets to Audacity.

And i normally record songs off spotify
Of course that's a copyright violation and a violation of your Spotify user agreement. The artist only gets paid (a very-very small amount) when the song is played through Spotify.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by whatshisname » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 am

I'm not using the stereo mix, Audacity just records it from whatever is playing out of the speakers. And there are no enhancements, I mean when Audacity records its bass, but when I play it out normally its normal.
whatshisname

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 am

whatshisname wrote:when I play it out normally

What does that mean?

If you import a known good audio file into Audacity and play it, does it sound "normal" or "bassy as heck"?
If you export an MP3 from Audacity and "play it out normally", does it sound "normal" or "bassy as heck"?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm not using the stereo mix, Audacity just records it from whatever is playing out of the speakers.
Audacity records from whatever Recording Device that you select.

There are few different ways of Recording Computer Playback.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Return to Windows