how do i do this with audicity

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
benbernie
Operating System: Please select

how do i do this with audicity

Post by benbernie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:36 am

hi
I have this 78 that has a skip in the middle of it..its not a skip that keeps repeating itself..its a skip that happens once and then the tonearm
keeps going..is there a way to remove the skip with audacity??

lenny

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: how do i do this with audicity

Post by Trebor » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:09 am

Envelope tool could be used to reduce the volume of the skip , (and does not effect timing) ...

Could select the skip noise, then delete it, but that could muck-up the timing of the music.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:46 pm

How big is the skip (number of samples)?

If it's small enough (less tan 128 samples) you could use Effect>Repair

If it's longer you can try the Draw tool (in the Tools toolbar) to redraw the waveform manually.

See this tutorial in the Audacity ManualL https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tut ... iques.html

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

DVDdoug
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by DVDdoug » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:10 pm

If the record is literally skipping ahead by one or more grooves, have you tried increasing the tracking force or playing with the anti-skate adjustment (if your turntable has an anti-skate adjustment)?

If you upload/attach a short sample with the skip in the middle, we can play with it. If it's actually skipping-ahead a longer sample would be better so we can get the "context". (A longer sample would have to be MP3 or other compressed format, due to size limits.)

its not a skip that keeps repeating itself..its a skip that happens once and then the tonearm
keeps going..
If the record skips-ahead we call that a "skip" and if it skips-back we say the record is "stuck".