Normalize bug? [SOLVED]

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
walterono
Operating System: Please select

Normalize bug? [SOLVED]

Post by walterono » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:10 pm

When I use normalize on a file, I leave the box to do each channel separately unticked, but Audacity still indicates that it is processing the channels separately ('processing first track of stereo pair' ... 'processing second track of stereo pair ...') I'm using Audacity 2.2.1 but this bug has been around for quite a while

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Normalize bug?

Post by kozikowski » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:25 am

Well, yes, it's processing them separately, but is it doing that to a common goal? For example, if there is one very high peak only on the Left, does it reduce both Left and Right the same amount to resolve the correction? I think it does.

Running Normalize the other way, separately, would change Left and Right by different amounts and could result in a serious shift of perceived stereo sound direction.
I'm using Audacity 2.2.1 but this bug has been around for quite a while
You probably shouldn't go into a question automatically assuming the program has a bug. We can tell you that status.

Koz

walterono
Operating System: Please select

Re: Normalize bug? [SOLVED]

Post by walterono » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:28 am

You're absolutely right, I shouldn't have assumed it was a bug. Your reply answers the question.