Enhance Vocal Clarity?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
bilvihur
Operating System: Please select

Enhance Vocal Clarity?

Post by bilvihur » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm

Audacity 2.1.0, Win 7/64 SP1. I downloaded a beautiful melody (Elizabethan Serenade - Nelson Civic Ladies Choir) from YouTube, but when I play it on my home stereo the vocals are difficult to understand. It may be simply their accents, or the fact that it is a choir, but are there any edits I can make to enhance the vocal clarity? Thanks.

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Enhance Vocal Clarity?

Post by Trebor » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:25 pm

bilvihur wrote:... Choir ... vocals are difficult to understand ...
Possibly due to reverberation, if so that's not correctable in Audacity, or any other software I know of.

DVDdoug
Forum Crew
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Enhance Vocal Clarity?

Post by DVDdoug » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:37 pm

You can try boosting the higher frequencies with the Equalization effect. Boosting the highs brings out the "T" & "S" sounds and that can help with intelligibility.

After boosting anything it's a good idea to run the amplify or Normalize effect before exporting to make sure your peaks don't exceed 0dB (to prevent clipping/distortion).

But yeah... A choir in a music hall with lots of natural reverb and possibly an amateur recording... You might have to know the song(s) to understand what's being sung.