Can't record web-audio in Audacity 2.2.0 in Win 10,

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Permanent link to this post Posted by doug3 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:55 pm

I believe Audacity needs to be fixed to allow web recording like it used to in older versions of Windows.
I can record web audio using another program called FastStone and I have spent 12 hours trying all the internet solutions with Audacity.
So I have done all the obvious things.
More information follows:
I have the latest versions of Windows 10 & Audacity= 2.2.0.
I right click the “Speaker Icon” in my tray and select “Playback” or “Recording Device”.
The PLAYBACK tab shows one & two green bars on far right side of screen (see below) & I can hear the sound from my speakers.
But the RECORDING tab {for either of my “Stereo Mix” devices} has no sound and no green bars on the right side of the screen.
Even when I go into Properties, select the “Levels” tab, & move the level from zero to 50 I still don’t get any sound.
For some reason, the level reverts to zero after a few seconds?.
Windows 10 also tells me the best drivers are already installed when I ask Windows to search for a newer driver.
I disabled all the microphones.
I ran the windows troubleshooter & it told me the audio device was muted & it was fixed, but still no recording sound?.
I am guessing this might be the Level gauge that reverts to zero after a period of time when I move it up to 50?

NOTE- I had pictures of the Windows popups to show the configurations I had tried (but they did not paste here) to I will try the upload attachment below
PLAYBACK WORKS: RECORD DOES NOT WORK=USB STEREO MIX: RECORD DOES NOT WORK =REALTEK STEREO MIX:
Attachments
Audacty Problem.rtf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 12 times
doug3

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Can't record web-audio in Audacity 2.2.0 in Win 10,

Permanent link to this post Posted by DVDdoug » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 pm

But the RECORDING tab {for either of my “Stereo Mix” devices}
With Windows 7 or newer, use WASAPI loopback.
DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Permanent link to this post Posted by doug3 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:06 pm

:D :D Thank You Very Much. By picking the Host as WASAPI and picking a Recording Device that had LOOPBACK I was able to click the recording meter and see the levels as I recorded the web/YouTube waveform in Audacity. {ref is Audacity Manual: ( http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tuto ... dows.html; ) adf.
doug3

Permanent link to this post Posted by crazyrev » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:12 pm

I have a similar problem. I have just replaced my laptop and now use Win10. On my previous laptop, with Win 8.1, I could record web music (for personal use!) using "Stereo Mix (IDT High Definition). However, I now have only two options - "MS Sound Mapper" and "Microphone (Realtek High Definition)". Both of these record only from the inbuilt microphone. I have tried to attach a copy of the screen prints from each laptop!

I tried uninstalling 2.2.0 and then installing 2.1.0 as on my previous laptop, but it made no difference. I have now re-installed the latest version. If anyone can provide me with advice, or an alternative programme that will do the job I want done, I will be most grateful.

Thank you. :)
crazyrev

Operating System: Please select

Return to Windows