Cannot Record through a combo mic/headphone jack from USB DJ

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
ladytg
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by ladytg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:18 pm

On my Windows 10 laptop, I cannot record through a single combination mic/headphone jack from a USB DJ controller, Line In.
I have a Y Splitter Audio Video Plug Converter Male to 2 RCA Female Cable Adapter 3.5mm.
No wave form appears when I press record, only a flat line in the software.
What am I missing, or I doing wrong?

DVDdoug
Forum Crew

Re: Cannot Record through a combo mic/headphone jack from US

Post by DVDdoug » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:04 pm

You wouldn't want to because a line-level signal is about 100 times stronger than a microphone output so you usually get poor quality, plus the mic input is mono, and the mic preamp built into a computer is usually low-quality.

That said, the combo jack works with regular headphones but it requires a 4-Conductor TRRS connector to make the microphone connection.

What "USB DJ controller" do you have? Maybe you can use the USB connection?

Or, if you have access to a desktop/tower computer you can use the line-input on the soundcard. Or, you can get a USB audio interface with line level inputs. The Behriner UCA202 is a popular inexpensive option. (Don't buy a regular "USB soundcard". They are like laptops with only mic-in and headphone-out.

ladytg

Post by ladytg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks for your response.

I have a Pioneer DDJ SB controller. I use the USB connection for my MacBook Pro and I'm trying to use a Dell Inspirion 11 windows laptop to record audio. I do have a Dell desktop where I managed to use the Dell Audio settings to record successfully, but using my laptop has been unsuccessful.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Your desktop is likely to have a blue Stereo In connection and you should be able to directly connect a stereo cable between the two.

Very few laptops have that. You can struggle with the laptop Mic-In or HeadSet In, but I use a stereo USB adapter

That's a Behringer UCA202. It's stereo in and out and has zero latency monitoring for overdubbing if you want.

Koz