Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".


Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Post Reply
TrillDill
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:34 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by TrillDill » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 pm

i just closed a project and when i went to open it it gave me this can you plz help me out thanks
Attachments
Hang It Up.aup
(212.43 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Posts: 9434
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:03 am
Operating System: Windows 10
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by waxcylinder » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 am

This FAQ from the Audacity Manual should hep you: http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man ... _at_line_x

Just be aware that this is the alpha Manual for the as-yet unreleased 2.2.0 version of Audacity - so other pages may/will refer to new stuff. The advice on this page however remains good for 2.1.3 and earlier versions too. I restructured the FAQ for the next release to give clearer advice on errors like this one.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

Yarn366
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 11:31 pm
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by Yarn366 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 pm

waxcylinder wrote: This FAQ from the Audacity Manual should hep you: http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man ... _at_line_x
This is actually yet another case of Audacity for Windows not saving supplementary characters properly, a bug that is not even mentioned on the page that you linked to. (Audacity for Windows is saving supplementary characters as pairs of escapes representing surrogates (in the form of &#xd[89ab][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];&#xd[c-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];) when it should be saving them either directly or as five- or six-digit escapes.)

Anyway, TrillDill, I've attached a version of your project file that doesn't contain the supplementary character.
Attachments
Hang It Up.aup
(212.32 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

steve
Site Admin
Posts: 47287
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu
Contact:

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by steve » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Yarn366 wrote:This is actually yet another case of Audacity for Windows not saving supplementary characters properly, a bug that is not even mentioned on the page that you linked to. (Audacity for Windows is saving supplementary characters as pairs of escapes representing surrogates (in the form of &#xd[89ab][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];&#xd[c-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];) when it should be saving them either directly or as five- or six-digit escapes.)
We do at least have the bug logged now, and (thanks to you Yarn366) we will hopefully not have this bug much longer.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

TrillDill
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:34 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by TrillDill » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:06 am

Yarn366 wrote:
waxcylinder wrote: This FAQ from the Audacity Manual should hep you: http://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/man ... _at_line_x
This is actually yet another case of Audacity for Windows not saving supplementary characters properly, a bug that is not even mentioned on the page that you linked to. (Audacity for Windows is saving supplementary characters as pairs of escapes representing surrogates (in the form of &#xd[89ab][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];&#xd[c-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f];) when it should be saving them either directly or as five- or six-digit escapes.)

Anyway, TrillDill, I've attached a version of your project file that doesn't contain the supplementary character.
oh wow thank you so much, i was so troubled on that article i got sent your the best :)

TrillDill
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:34 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by TrillDill » Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

it happened again with this file do you think you could help me
Attachments
pressed.aup
(93.65 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

steve
Site Admin
Posts: 47287
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu
Contact:

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by steve » Tue May 22, 2018 7:19 am

TrillDill wrote:it happened again with this file do you think you could help me
What's the exact error message?
Which version of Audacity are you using? (I'm guessing that it's an old version).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

TrillDill
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:34 pm
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by TrillDill » Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 am

steve wrote:
TrillDill wrote:it happened again with this file do you think you could help me
What's the exact error message?
Which version of Audacity are you using? (I'm guessing that it's an old version).
it didnt give me an exact error message this time, but this time it just silenced all my audio on the track, all the gain and panning settings stayed the same it just deleted all sound, im using 2.1.1

steve
Site Admin
Posts: 47287
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 am
Operating System: Linux *buntu
Contact:

Re: Refrence to invalid character number at line: 3751

Post by steve » Thu May 31, 2018 7:38 am

I can't suggest anything without knowing precisely what the error message said (an exact quote of the error message).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Post Reply