Recording Skype settings help

I have been playing with this for over two weeks - okay I have a new HP Dell computer , a new Blue Yeti microphone, and a basic headset. I am trying to set me up to record Skype calls. My headset is plugged into the Yeti and the Yeti is usb plugged into the front of the computer. I can make and hear calls in Skype, I have my speakers turned off. Here is the deal - I can either get Skype to record me (the sound of my voice on a Skype call - which it is now doing - OR like yesterday it was recording y interviewee AND NOT me. I am using the latest windows 10 version, I use the GeekSquad - who played with it for hours yesterday - and they cannot figure it out. Why is this so hard? If you cannot help me I will have to go back to recording using my phone and not the Blue Yeti - know my Yeti is set right - I have been over this and over this and over this. It is set to cartoid - the heart. My gain is more then half :frowning:

Audacity is not recommended to record both sides of a Skype call. I think Pamela is still recommended after a bout of scrambled upgrades.

http://www.pamela.biz/en/products/

Another possibility is record in VoiceMeeter Banana.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

You can get a Pamela license that records both sides on different tracks so you an filter and correct one voice without messing up the other. I think the upper two licenses will do that.

I’ve never used VoiceMeeter.

I did it with two different computers and a small mixer.

The computer on the left is inserting music here and there and recording the composite in plain Audacity. the machine on the right is running Skype. Both of those Macs have Stereo Line-In and Stereo Line-Out, so it was just running cables back and forth. Windows machines can be made to work with USB interfaces.

If you are beginning a Podcast, a separate, highly recommended method is have each actor record their own voice and ship the WAV sound files to you for mixing in the final show. No bubbly, honky Skype voice. As you found, recording your own voice is a snap. Recording the far side without messing up the call is a pain in the neck.

Before you post that people do this all the time, contact them how they did it.

Pando Podcast uses the two computer method.

Koz

I will have to go back to recording using my phone

If you got recording on a phone to work, you can tell us how you did that.

iPhone APP?

Koz

using pamela to record both sides of conversation on skype does NOT work , and they have lousy customer support and Audacity does not work either (
(by the way - I own pamela - lousy customer support) You are telling me that Audacity does not work right? About two years ago I used to do a lot of podcasting, I stopped for two yers to workon learning coding, I USED to use skype and audacity before and it used to work .

TO the reply about using two computers - I got NO clue how to do that nor what you mean - I am using a new HP Desktop computer

to the person who asked how to record and interview with a cell phoen - there are applications and recording services - call recorder - records calls on the phone (not great sound quality recording however) and a conference call hooking up app (s
does not record) called ConferenceNow - and then you can hook up through an online website called Recordator - go look for the website -

TO the reply about using two computers - I got NO clue how to do that nor what you mean - I am using a new HP Desktop computer

The idea is to separate Skype from Audacity. It’s the interaction on one computer that causes problems. That coupled with Skype’s thing of constantly changing its internal services means no one software package is ever going to catch up. That’s what screwed Pamela.

But wait, there’s more.

There are some producers who set up one computer, run Audacity, Open Skype and produce show after show with no apparent troubles at all. And then they post how easy it is and nobody else can get it to work.

Reel Life Podcast http://reellife.podomatic.com/

We do know pieces of this. Your microphone is a service of the local computer, so it’s a snap for Audacity to access and record, The far side is a service of Skype and that’s a moving target. The trick is to record both without screwing up the call.

The two computer technique not only splits up Skype and Audacity, it also allows the mixer to split Skype Send and Skype Receive. It doesn’t matter what Skype does on its own computer. Eventually, it has to run a speaker or headphones and a microphone to do its job and that’s where you grab it.

The other recommended way is to have each performer record their own microphone and ship the sound files to you. That has a pretty good success rate.

And then there’s the desperation method of using Skype in speakerphone configuration and put a stand-alone recorder in the middle of the table to record both sides. That sucks for sound quality, but it does give you a recording. I use a Olympus WM823. The Zoom recorders should work, too.

Koz

The two city recording thing is what this is.

This is the Los Angeles recording I did for a radio broadcast. Each city recorded their own performer. I shipped the LA sound track to the station who mixed it into the final show. They called each other on the phone for coordination.

It works a treat.

We double recorded it so the picture looks more complicated than it actually was.

Koz

and then you can hook up through an online website called Recordator - go look for the website -

Good point. I’ve done that, too. It takes two computers at different locations. Your computer is normal Skype. Use headphones for best quality.

The second computer is a member of the Skype call without a microphone. Record the far side. If you’re keeping score, that gives you a recording of both sides.

That works with any conference system. We were not using Skype.

Koz

using pamela to record both sides of conversation on skype does NOT work

Just for form, you weren’t using the paid license, right?

Koz