Entering attack times > 1000 ms in noise gate.

The manual indicates that attack/decay times > 1000 ms may be entered by using text instead of the slider. I find, however, that when I enter times larger than 1000 ms, exp. 1100 ms, using the keyboard, I get a validation error indicating that all times must be between 10 and 1000 msecs. Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something here?
I’m using Audacity version 2.1.3, Windows 10. I believe that I used the .exe installer for Audacity but am not 100% sure.

What are you doing? What’s the job?

Having a Noise Gate attack one second after an audio event would sound awful.

Koz

I’m doing something rather unconventional.

I will be creating a series of math videos in PowerPoint for YoutTube. The audio will consist of my voice with occasional “chime” sounds.

I need to get rid of both a steady background noise in addition to some lip smacking noises that are getting picked up by my mic after most of my sentences.

I discovered that the combination of a low pass filter and the noise gate (attack/recover time in this case is 300 msecs), worked nicely.
The problem is that the chime is a much higher frequency than my voice and the LPF destroys it.

So, to regenerate the chime, I created a second track where I first run the same voice/chime combination through a high pass filter that lowers the amplitude of my voice without affecting the sound of the chime too much. It helps the chimes to stand out more. After the HPF, I’d like to automatically mute everything except the chimes. The noise gate seems to be the obvious way to do this, but a 1000 msec attack/recovery time ends up abruptly cutting off the trailing end of the chime. I believe that a longer attack/recovery time here would do the trick.

For now, I’m just manually removing every thing except the chimes on the second track and that seems to work. But I’m hoping to make this process more automatic.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Audacity’s DeClicker plugin, (available here), is an effective tool for that job …

Suggested settings to remove mouth clicks.

To obtain an attack/release of >1000ms , change the code in the NoiseGate plugin …

Save your modified version of the NoiseGate plugin with a name ending “.ny”, (not “.txt”)

I presume that you are referring to the documentation here: Missing features - Audacity Support

That was correct for older versions of Audacity, but is no longer the case, so I have updated that page.
If you were referring to documentation somewhere else, please give a link so that it can be updated.

If you really need longer than 1000 ms in Noise Gate, you can modify the plug-in as described by Trebor. I would recommend using NotePad++ for modifying plug-ins as other editors may mess up the character encoding, line endings or file extension and prevent the plug-in from working. NotePad++ is free and available here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Hi.
Just wondering if anybody has any ideas here before I start in again on my math videos in earnest.
Thanks,
Eric

Ideas about what? Your original question has been answered hasn’t it?