Can't change the audio device.

Greetings. I’ve been trying to edit an audio but I can only hear it from the speakers. When I try to change it to the headphones the program automatically changes it back to the speakers. Is this a bug or…?

To begin with, make sure you are using the current Audacity 2.1.3 release from Audacity ® | Download for Windows. See the pink panel at the top of the page.

If the problem persists in 2.1.3 please give more details of what happens. Where do you change the playback device to your headphones and where do you see that the playback device is still the speakers?

Can you hear the headphones in Windows Media Player?

Gale

Do you actually have headphones or a headset, a combo of microphone and headphones? If you have a headset, you may need driver software that “knows” how to deal with that. How is it connected? What’s the model number?

Koz

Stop the audio from playing (not pause), then select the drop down for the Playback Device.

Hate to necro, but I just ran into this issue. I have a preamp with headphones and a standalone studio monitor. Go to Edit---->preferences---->Devices. Under playback Device select Microsoft Sound mapper. Now you can select your audio device from the audio selection in your taskbar. Have not figured out how to do it through Audacity just yet.

You’re talking about the green jack in the back of your PC? Mine’s listed as Speakers (Realtech high-definition audio) I had to run the troubleshooter yesterday to get sound through it or my monitor jack. Since my PC is in another room I switched the studio speaker connection to my monitor.