Tinnitus Suffer seeking help form Audacity Community

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
henks
Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Tinnitus notch filter through speakers

Post by henks » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the info posted. I'm new to this and trying to understand it.
For tinnitus therapy,
Can I set up an Audacity, notch, (or stop) filter on my computer and play "all" my music through it ?
ie. youtube, ITunes, Windows Medea Player, Total Recorder, etc..
Like globally, so all sound out of computer is notched ?
Is there a way ?
(Like playing through an EQ , as opposed to recording 1 song at a time though the filter, and saving it ? )
Also,
Is it effective through speakers ? Anyone tried speakers ?

I'm a musician and we often run all of our sound through a hardware type EQ to shape the sound before amplification.
I'm thinking of it that way, but with my computer, and I'd like to use speakers instead of headphones.

Any other ideas for this ?
Do I need a hardware device ? If so, do you know of an affordable one ?
Thanks much
Henk

Trebor
Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Tinnitus notch filter through speakers

Post by Trebor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:51 am

henks wrote:...Can I set up an Audacity, notch, (or stop) filter on my computer and play "all" my music through it ? ... Like globally, so all sound out of computer is notched ?
Audacity doesn't apply effects in real-time. So you'll need other software: you need "real-time equalizer" software.

Robert2
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Tinnitus Suffer seeking help form Audacity Community

Post by Robert2 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:02 am

I have a Realtek onboard sound card. It has a built-in equalizer with presets, but there is a 3-dots button or “graphic equalizer” button to the right of each of the presets. Pressing this button opens a customizable equalizer. Each relevant frequency can be adjusted.

You could also use either Equalizer APO (free) or Breakaway Audio Enhancer (paying).

HTH
Robert

Gordz
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Gordz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:42 am

Hi there Greg, did you ever get any where with your research on this ? My tinnitus drives me crazy sometimes.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 am

Gordz wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:42 am
Hi there Greg, did you ever get any where with your research on this ? My tinnitus drives me crazy sometimes.
Greg has not been active on this forum since 2015, though perhaps some of the information in this thread will still be useful.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)