Won't record when running another application BLUE YETI PRO

Hi, I just got a Blue Yeti Pro microphone. When I go to just record something in Audacity, it works perfectly. However, if I have something major running before I try to record, it will not record at all. By something major, I mean a game like Minecraft or Steam, or even if there’s a YouTube video playing in my browser (the browser alone being open doesn’t matter though). The sweeper bar (don’t know if that’s what it’s called, the bar that indicates where you are) just sits there blinking red.

However, if I start recording before I open said application/program, then it will record alright. Though, when I try to close/minimize said game/program, then the game/program crashes (Audio seems to be okay though). This is even worse when I’m recording said game. I use Fraps, though it doesn’t matter what program I use to record. When I’m recording audio with Audacity first then start recording visuals, it works okay until I stop the recording, at which point the recorder and game both crash. And as I said before, if I have the game open or the recording going before I start audio, then Audacity will just sit there as I already described.

This problem does not happen when I use any other microphone. What I have always used before Blue Yeti Pro is a Sentey headset, which works perfectly. Any other combination of headphones/microphone work perfectly as well, no issues whatsoever. This only ever occurs when I go to use the Blue Yeti Pro.

I’ve gone through and set up all the sound settings in the control panel and everything, and all seems to be well.

PC specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Given this issue is specific to Yeti Blue, have you asked Blue about the issue: Blue Microphones Service Request Form ? Are you using USB or XLR output?

What version of Windows is it?

The only suggestions I have from an Audacity perspective (assuming you are on Vista or later) are to record using MME host in Device Toolbar (which will mean Audacity won’t be trying to get exclusive control of the audio device) and to record at 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz project rate (so as not to put too great a load on the computer).

If Blue requires to work with only one application at a time, and FRAPS takes it over, then Audacity won’t be able to record from it under any host.

Another note if you are also trying to record the game audio using Audacity. If you use Windows WASAPI host in Audacity to record game audio then the sound device playing the audio must be in shared mode. If an application such as a game or FRAPS requires to take exclusive control of the audio device for playback, Audacity won’t be able to record from it under WASAPI.

In any case Fraps is designed (at least on Windows 7 and later) to record game audio and video and the commentary from a mic. Have you tried that?

Or save the video and audio from FRAPS without recording the commentary, install FFmpeg, import the audio from the video into Audacity, then overdub your commentary while listening.

Gale

Hi there!

This is happening to me too - with a Rode microphone.

I need to record audio for a website - and I have to have the website open as I record. Nothing but my voice is being recorded but Audacity will not record whilst it is open.
I have resorted to a separate laptop. (I need the website open as i am recording from dialogue on screen)
SOOOO frustrating. Would love assistance if anyone has any for me?

I record set at MME and 44100 project rate.

Cheers
Amanda

Audacity may be doing more jobs than you think it is.

Go into Audacity Recording preferences and turn off the top two settings.

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 6.37.49 PM.png
That help?

Koz

Alas no - that didn’t work.
It works perfectly until I use certain sites in my browser. So strange.
I just get the red triangles but no movement / recording running.