Voiceovers/Edits

Hello,

I do a lot of voice overs and sometimes I like to go back and edit them for accuracy. I usually just cut out what was incorrect or needless and make a new recording right in the original recording. Sometimes it is very obvious where the new recording begins because of pitch, loudness ect. Is there a way that I can easily sync the original with the new and get them to match pitch and loudness as closely as possible?

Thanks in advance,
Mbeck

Not automatic or easily. That’s why when you make a fluff you should correct it immediately and put an on-the-fly label on the timeline so you can go back later and swap/cut as needed. This will let you make the correction while you have the rhythm, pitch, and style right there ^ pitch, rhythm, volume and style right there ^ pitch, volume and style right there ^.

Even the grownups have trouble doing it with accomplished actors in post production. They do it by looping where they listen to the original track about fifty two thousand times and produce different versions of the correction. Somebody in a dark editing suite in the back of the lot cuts the correction in.

Pitch corrections can be particularly troublesome. If you go more than one piano tone or two, it starts sounding mechanical and off. Anybody can do volume corrections with Effect > Amplify. None of the tools are real time, so it’s apply, listen, UNDO, and apply different.

You might find Overdubbing valuable. The original track plays in your ear while you record new work on a separate track. If you use the hardware solutions we found, you can hear the original track and your own live voice.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_multi_track_overdubs.html

Koz

My voice is about an octave lower first thing in the morning, before I’ve had a cup of tea, than any other time of day. There is no way to correct for that.

By recording the “drop in” correction to a new track, you can use the Time Shift tool to accurately synchronise the timing and you can use the track gain control or the Mixer Board to match the levels.