VST Plug-ins

Hi To All :slight_smile:
After several attempts to try to get a good sound recorded from my drum kit but with only one mike, I used reverb, and split the track so as to time delay one track to give a stereo effect, but still sounds flat.
So I decided to download and install a simple drum VST.
I downloaded a VST called Jun’s Factory from VSTplanet.com. and read the help files on how to install it, this is what I did.
1.Downloaded the VST to my documents which came as a zip.
2.Opened the zip which contained a folder called Jun’s Factory-JM-1.
3.I copied and pasted this folder into the Plug-ins folder within the audacity folder in my program files.
4.Went to effects prefferences and checked the box to rescan VST effects on the next startup.
5.Closed Audacity and restarted Audacity but it was not there!! I pressume it would be in the drop down list from effects tab.
6.I went back to the folder I had put in the plug-ins and opened it. It contained a BMP banner and JM-1.dll
7.I cut and pasted these from their folder directly into the plug-ins folder and deleted the empty folder.
8.Went back to Audacity,effects preffereces and checked the box to rescan VST effects on next startup again.
9.Closed Audacity and restarted again but it is still not there!!!
Please can anyone tell me where ime going wrong?? or maybe audacity just dosn’t like this VST if so, can anyone help me and suggest a drum kit VST (free) that is tried and tested??
Many Thanks.

Bringe.
ps.Also,how do I change my password.

Top left of this page > User Control Panel > Profile > Account Settings.

Two kinds of VSTs fail in Audacity. Ones that demand heavy graphic intervention, and badly written. The .dll should have done it. Audacity won’t know what to do with the folder. Koz

Let me take this in a different direction. Post a little of the drums you have now. It may be easier to fix that. Live recording is not easy and you can be doing something silly and never realize it.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Koz

Audacity does not support VST instruments (VSTi), only VST effects.

Hi Koz :slight_smile:
Thanks for your reply.I have attached a small sample of my drumming (dont laugh) I have tried putting the mike in different positions,first I put it out front about 4 feet away and that was crap.Then I tried it overhead and picked up no bass drum.Now Ive put it just over the bass drum between the 2 tom toms which seems to pick most of the kit. but its so dead sounding.Ive tried all the reverb settings on the Gverb-Audacity Wiki page from “the quick fix” to “last row in the church”
but its just not right. :confused:
Maybe you could play with it and give me some advice please. :bulb:
Also I have noticed that no matter where I put the mic record level on audacity it dosn’t make any difference whether its at max or min :question:
Looking forward to your reply.
Kind Regards.

Bringe.
drum sample.aup (2.81 KB)

You’ve posted the .aup file. That can’t be played without the “drum sample_data” folder (see here for why: http://manual.audacityteam.org/manual/help/manual/man/audacity_projects.html )

The best way to post an audio sample is to select about 5 seconds of the recording, then from the File menu chose “Export Selection” and export as a WAV file.

Hi Steve :slight_smile:
What a numbhead I am :blush:
Ive attatched about 5 seconds as a WAV as you said.
I hope you or koz can help me here.

Standalone free drum kits: MDrummer | MeldaProduction

Something is overloading and causing a lot of distortion.

What sort of microphone are you using and what is it plugged into?

Hi Audino :slight_smile:
Many thanks for the link to mdrummer. I downloaded the small free version but its to complicated for me.
Ime hoping that Steve or Koz can help me improve my own drumming. :slight_smile:
Kind Regards.

bringe.

Many thanks for your reply.
The mike I have is a “RS 249-946 280 ohms.Made in Austria” and is plugged straight into the mic input on the rear of the pc.
I did mention previously that no matter where I position the record in volume slider it makes no difference. In fact even when the pc is idle, just on the desktop with no programs (inc.audacity) running, the mike is still live, ie.tap the mike and you hear it from the speakers :confused: Ime sure thats not right. :unamused:
Any help you can give me to improve my drums sound would be much appreciated :exclamation:
Kind Regards.

bringe.

My guess is that it’s overloading the mic input of your sound card.
To get a reasonable drum sound the microphone needs to be reasonably close to the drum kit, but as you must be well aware, drum kits are *&^%@! loud.
One of the down sides of standard sound card microphone inputs (apart from the fact that they are usually very poor quality) is that they don’t have any direct way to alter the input gain, all they can do is to adjust the level after it has gone through the microphone pre-amp. Consequently it is often easy to overload the microphone input.

If you listen to the kick drum part, the bass frequencies are a bit low, but it’s not distorted and could be made to sound quite reasonable. The big problem is the snare which is massively distorted.

The microphone that you are using is probably not ideal, (though I can’t find much information about it on the Internet), but it will probably be OK as long as you are not micing up the drums too close. What you really need is some sort of mic pre-amp that has a proper gain control on the input side. It would also help a lot if you had a second microphone. Do you have a budget to buy some bits and pieces? (it need not be a big budget :wink:

Many thanks for your reply.
As I said in a previous post ive tried the mike in various positions and found the best (best of the worst) to be just above the bass drum in between the two toms which obviously picks the snare up to high.
Ive looked on ebay to find a drums mike set but they are silly money. Looks like ile have to use a drums vst or something but I was really wanting to use my own drums to give it a live sound :frowning:
Any idea why my mike is live at all times as I explained earlier??

bringe.

I’m not suggesting that you need a big budget to do that, but if you have some budget it will certainly help. Would around $70 be out of the question?

Sorry for the delay in replying to you.
$70. is about ÂŁ50. I think.Even thats more than I can go to :frowning:
What did you have in mind for 70 dollars anyway, I might be able to find it somewhere at a bargain price :unamused:

bringe.

Something like this: ART Dual Pre USB – Thomann UK

2 good microphone inputs with proper input gain control. Nice solid metal box and USB connection.
Sorry it’s a bit over 50 quid.

Add any old cheap dynamic mic to pick up the kick drum and use your good mic as an “overhead”.

Hi Steve :smiley:
Sorry for the delay in replying (again)
Many thanks for your ideas.I bought a cheap NEW dynamic mike from ebay for about ÂŁ2.Suggested use for kareoke and
positioned it just in front of the bass drum and higher up,in between the toms and the result was really good :astonished:
with a little bit of tweaking with time shift to get a stereo effect and graphic equalizer and a bit of reverb it was great!!
So ime planning on bying about 8 of them and get a cheap 8 channel mixer and the possibilities are as good as my talant.
Also I found a great FREE standalone drum machine called HYDROGEN which is really great.It takes a while to figure it out as ime a bit of a thicko,but its easy to create a drum beat for as long or short as you want then save it as a WAV then import it into AUDACITY then the possibilities are endless :smiley:
Many thanks to all for your help on this subject,I guess ime pretty sorted now!!

bringe

You may not need to go as far as that. Micing up every drum is one way to record a kit, but very good results are possible with just one for the kick and one overhead. Keith Moon made some classic recordings with just three mics! (one on the kick and a pair of overheads).

Note that “overheads” are not necessarily “over head” - it just means that the mics are above the drums, but a “spaced pair” could be one either side of the drummers head, or even slightly in front of the kit. Mic positioning is definitely something to experiment with as it can make an enormous difference to the sound.

See also this article: Q. How do I mike-up a 'Keith Moon' drummer?

Hi Steve :smiley:
Many thanks for that link,that has helped me very much.
Ille get another 1 mike for now then but I still need a mixer so ille probably still go for a 8 channel just in case.

bringe.