error trying to record audio

Hi I just downloaded audacity v 2.0.1 so i could copy my records to my computer. I have my stereo hooked up to the line in and when i play my record the sound comes out of my speakers without any problems but when I press the record button in audacity i get the error message: “Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings and the project sample rate.” As far as I know the input device settings are alright since I can listen to the records through my computer speakers but I don’t know what the project sample rate is. I tried a different wav editor a while back and had a similar error message. If someone could help me I would appreciate it.

Here are my computer specs: intel core 2 duo 2.2 ghz running windows 7 64 bit.

thanks

the input device settings are alright since I can listen to the records through my computer speakers

You don’t need Audacity to hear the music, but you do need Audacity to record.

Go into Audacity Preferences and set the bit depth to 16-bit instead of 32-bit floating. The full set of settings is 44100, 16-bit, Stereo.

Also, when you’re playing your music, click once inside the Audacity Recording Meters. If everything is OK, they will wake up after a second and bounce in time to the music. If they don’t, then the digital music is not getting as far as Audacity.

You should probably start with the Device Tool Bar and make sure you’re trying to record from the right “device.”

http://manual.audacityteam.org/help/manual/man/device_toolbar.html

Koz

thanks for the help. After fiddling with my recording properties It eventually worked. I think my microphone may have been conflicting with it.