resampling question.

Hi all … my first post.

Background:
I use Audacity to strip out the 2 channel tracks from .ts file (produced by my Hauppauge Nova-T500 recording Freeview TV and radio). The extracted audio is usually an mp2 file with a sample rate of 48KHz and a bit rate of 256Kbps. Once the track is in Audacity I use the resample option under ‘Tools’ to down the sample rate to 44.1KHz for writing to an audio CD. Before I export the resampled track 2-channel I changed the ‘Project Rate’ in the bottom left of the Audacity window to 44.1KHz.
I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit + Audacity versopm 2.0.0

Question:
Do I need to go through both steps or will just the change to the ‘Project Rate’ on export also resample the track to 44.1KHz in the same way as if I had gone through the ‘Tools - Resample’ process?

Thx

The manual says: “Changing this value immediately changes the sample rate at which new tracks will be recorded or generated, and at which existing tracks will be played back, mixed or exported.” http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Selection_Toolbar

I’ve not tried it, but I assume the manual is correct.

– Bill

You only need one of those steps. If you also do Tracks > Resample then the export is quicker because the resampling is already done.

Gale

Thx for the responses.

I suppose its because I didn’t see any message or window that said it was re-sampling on just exporting but with the ‘Project Rate’ changed. I did an experiment last night & both files produced were the same physical size and also were showing as the same length of time … just don’t trust my ‘tin’ ears. I had read the wiki but didn’t see ‘exported’ … doh!

Case closed.