Record voiceover while listening to/recording jingle

Hi- My system is Windows 7 Home Premium, SP-1, 64 bit Operating System, I have Audacity version 2.0.0 I use a Blue “Snowball” USB mic (which- by the way- puts out great sound!). I want to be able to play an audio jingle, e.g., ACME Furniture Store, that has a bed and vocal(s), as well as listen to it, while I record a voice track. I want to be able to control the volume of the jingle (and, of course, my mic) as the jingle plays, AND be able to hear both my voice and the jingle. Presently, under Preferences - Recording - Playthrough, I have selected “Overdub: Play other tracks while recording new one.”

I can hear the jingle, and can record my voice, while the jingle plays. However, I cannot control its volume of the jingle, so- as a result, the jingle is as at the same volume as my voiceover. I hope I’ve explained this clearly. Help, please!

This is traditionally done by overdubbing and mixing in post production. You play the base track to your headphones and record your voice on a separate, fresh track. Later, in post production, you shift, equalize, filter, and manage each of the tracks individually until you get exactly the sound you want. Then you permanently combine them into one file for export and delivery.

As you found, trying to manage all the tracks in real time is a mess. You can do that, but not on a PC, and even then, the people with the huge mixing consoles produce individual tracks for later.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/help/manual/man/tutorial_recording_multi_track_overdubs.html

Koz