SOS

I used Audacity on Saturday to record 90 minutes of a focus group interview and for some reason I am unable to retrieve d data to start transcribing it. Whenever I try it gives me an error that says this program is not responding.

Please help me.

As it says above:

This forum is for Audacity 2.x on Windows.
For all help enquiries, please state which version of Windows you are using and whether you installed Audacity from the .exe installer or obtained the zip

In what format did you save/export the recording?
At what point does Audacity stop responding? Are you able to open Audacity from the Start menu? Is Audacity able to open any audio files?

A 90 minute sound file could take a couple of minutes to load up into the computer so that you can begin work on it. How long did you wait before killing the task?

Steve,
Thanks for your speedy response.

I use Windows XP. and installed Audcity from the zip along with a bunch of other programs after having reinstalled Windows XP on my Dell laptop one week ago. This is the first time I am using Audacity. I did a trial run with a brief piece of text and it worked. I saved it in Audacity by simply clicking save, and renaming the file. Yes, The program does open from the start menu.

Peace

When you “Save” from Audacity, it does not create an audio file, it creates an “Audacity Project”.
The Audacity Project is not just one file, there is the “project file” (a file with a “.aup” extension) and then the audio data that is used in the project.
To create a normal audio file you need to “Export”.
See here for details: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Audacity_Projects

I’m only guessing what the problem might be because you have not said what the actual error message was. The exact error message is important for diagnosing the problem.

Steve,

Thanks for your quick response.

Since I am new to Audacity, I did not know that I needed to export in order to create a normal audio file. Is there anything else I need to do to be able to listen to the file. Also can this be done after the project has been recorded (Since I did the reecording last Saturday)?

When I try to retrieve the file I do not even get to see the sound tracks and cannot hear anything. So I clickon the name of the file that I see on the bottom of the screen and that is when I get an End task error message. Hope this helps with the trouble shooting.

Can we do a screen share so that YOU CAN HELP ME LOCATE THE FILE?

Can be reached by phone at 916-289-8879. Can you guess that I am in panic mode? Tat is because this is the first of two focus group interviews that I am doing for my doctoral dissertation. If the file is lost I will not be able to replicate this data.

Peace,
Tim

What is the full name of the file that you are clicking on?
When you say “I see on the bottom of the screen”, what “screen” are you talking about?

Most importantly, what is the exact error message?

Are you able to find your last file by launching Audacity and then doing File…Recent Files…? If so, are then able to open it into Audacity?

What is the full name of the file that you are clicking on?i

The file that I click on is the name of the data file which I saved after I completed the session on Saturday. You were right in your previous mail that I had not exported the file. I did that and saved it as a WAV file, imported it, but was unable to get it to work through windows media player. Please help me understand what I need to do to be able to play the file, listen to it so that I can transcribe it. Can it be played in Audacity? I am using Office 2010. Is there something else I need to do to be able to play it? Can you call me or do a screen share to walk me through? 916-289-8879?

When you say “I see on the bottom of the screen”, what “screen” are you talking about?

Most importantly, what is the exact error message?
End Task File not responding

When I do that I cannot listen to the file because it does not play in the format that it is presently in.

Did you go read that section on Audacity Projects? Good idea to do.

Audacity saves Projects which consist of an aup show manager file and a _data folder with all the music in it. They both have to be in the same folder or on the desktop at the same time. The show will not open with either one missing. Koz