Effects Not Displayed in Drop-down Menu

The only effects displayed are, Fade In, Fade Out, Leveller…, Noise Removal…, Normalize…, Truncate Silence… (six effects).

Now this is the same issue I had in version 1.3. I thought it was some sort of bug. I did my best on troubleshooting, read all the tech info I could find. I waited patiently for the next version… I now have version 2.0 installed, and it does the same thing. BUT – it has always worked in version 1.26 – I have a full drop-down menu of effects in v1.26 (which I installed, and successfully used – over 80 I think). The same effects are installed into the plugin folder of version 2.0, and it still does not work (same problem as v1.3). I have tried the rescan VST effects as I saw suggested somewhere, but this does not work either. I have downloaded the LADSPA_plugins-win-0.4.15.exe file and installed it to the 2.0 version plugins folder, still, the same problem. I was formerly a support technician, so I can’t believe I’m that stupid – or am I? I’ve searched for some troubleshooting, but can’t find anything to exactly fit the issue.

My system is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

What’s wrong here? Any suggestions??

You have CleanSpeech Mode enabled (and 2.0.0 has no way to turn it off in the interface). Exit Audacity and turn it off in the audacity.cfg settings file as described here:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/help/manual/man/interface_preferences.html#behaviors .

In the next version in the 2.x series, CleanSpeech Mode will be ignored even if you had it turned on in an earlier version, so you won’t be able to use it in Audacity thereafter. Eventually we will have other ways to reduce the number of menu items and provide multiple effects presets, but you can still use File > Apply Chain to run the old CleanSpeech set of commands as before.

Gale

Thanks for the reply.

First, I had to locate the file, which was not in the Audacity program folder. It was found in folder C/:…AppData/Roaming/Audacity.

The CleanSpeech Mode line was not found in the CFG file, it was missing. I tried inserting the line in a couple of places (“CleanSpeechMode=0”), but this did not work since I did not know the correct heading to put it under.

I finally opened Audacity 1.3 and found the CleanSpeech Mode option in Preferences and unchecked it.

The CleanSpeechMode line appeared under the [Batch] heading in the configuration file.

All the effects now appear in the drop-down menu in both versions of Audacity.
I do not remember ever having checked the box in version 1.3, but apparently at one time I did.

If I could have found this information in the Audacity documentation manual (without reading the whole thing, which I would have had to do) it would have saved me a lot of time and pain. (I had searched for something relevant, but found nothing.) This information should have been referenced in more than one location, especially in the Effects section of the documentation. Sorry to be critical, even for a free program, but having done technical writing for a company, the documentation for Audacity I find to be somewhat lacking. I have previously experienced problems trying to find needed information on other Audacity issues as well. They were mostly resolved by searching the Internet rather than using the provided documentation. It is my habit to resolve issues myself before using other resources, such as forums.

In any case, I appreciate the help on this problem very much. Thanks.

-MacConnor

Glad you are up and running now. It was basically a programmer’s error to leave the feature capable of being enabled when it had been removed from the interface. This is now fixed in the source code, so it will be fixed in the next version.

No one said audacity.cfg was in the Audacity program folder.

I have no idea how Audacity launched in CleanSpeech mode if that line was missing from .cfg; it should be impossible. If it had happened, then yes, adding CleanSpeechMode=0 without [Batch] above it would not work. Given it should not happen, adding an instruction to delete (or add) the Batch line as well would add complication.

Since you have previously done technical writing, you’ll be aware that if the user doesn’t know what the offending item is called that they have enabled or disabled in error, a reference Manual is unlikely to help. Had you looked in the Release Notes ( http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Release_Notes_2.0.0#Known_Issues_at_Release ) you would have found the problem, which only leaves adding a FAQ as well, which probably wasn’t justified in terms of the number of people who trip up versus the cost in lengthening the list of FAQ’s.

I assume you are aware that the online manual and this Forum is searchable, so do I assume the problems you could not resolve in the past were practical issues rather than “what does this control do”? Incidentally if you had searched this Forum for either of these strings:

menu items missing 

"effects missing"

you would have found at once the name of the feature that was causing the problem.

Since Audacity is free, almost everyone volunteers for no payment, so more helpers are welcome if you want to volunteer yourself. Generally though the style is to keep verbosity to a minimum rather than try and explain everything in all possible places.

Gale

Gale,

I hesitate to respond to this, because there is most likely no sense in quibbling. But, I will make a few remarks before I put closure on this topic.

You stated that “No one said audacity.cfg was in the Audacity program folder.” This is true, the information was not provided, I had to search for the file.

You also stated that, “…that if the user doesn’t know what the offending item is called that they have enabled or disabled in error, a reference Manual is unlikely to help.” There was no offending item so to speak. I was dealing with a symptom, not a cause. I did not know the cause of course, I searched for what was relevant to the symptom. This is the usual nature of technical troubleshooting. If the cause is known, of course is much easier to resolve. If I can search and find what I need in a document and it is a known symptom, or bug, then it may be easier to rectify it. Your comment was that, “adding a FAQ as well, which probably wasn’t justified in terms of the number of people who trip up versus the cost in lengthening the list of FAQ’s.” But you also said essentially that Audacity is a project by volunteer helpers. So, I don’t see a cost involved. There may be more people out there with the same issue I had, but did not bother to go to this forum for help. I’m of the opinion, that more documentation is better – this is my experience. When I was doing technical troubleshooting professionally, if it was the opinion of those writing the tech documentation, that it was not worth it to include information on a possible issue or bug, I would not have been able to resolve many issues. I have indeed searched the Audacity documentation many times for different issues, and most of the time the search came up with nothing relevant. Perhaps some of my search items were obscure. The 2.0 release notes? If this CleanSpeech Mode item was a known issue that also occurred with version 1.3, then it should have been appropriately documented for version 2.0. I don’t like having to search through several separate documents to find a resolution to a problem when it could be centralized into one. You made suggestions as to what search terms could have been used. I did search for “effects” – it should have shown the missing menu item entry. But, I did not notice anything relevant. Perhaps I missed it, that’s entirely possible.

Yes, I have done technical writing and technical troubleshooting professionally. I would volunteer my writing services to the projects, but I’m engaged in too many writing projects at the moment. I don’t have any available time.

I’ll get off my soap box now. I apologize if I have stirred something up here and caused offense; I’ll drop the matter. This was not my intention when posting to this forum. Audacity is a fine product, and I’m appreciative.

-MacConnor

No offence is taken. I’m trying to help you find answers more efficiently, as much as having a to-fro about your complaints.

The “cost” in adding too many FAQ’s (as well as in volunteer time) is making such a long list of them that no-one reads them. Seriously. :wink:

One point you seem to be making is that we should put program bugs in the Manual. Generally, we don’t. Significant bugs (with their symptoms) are in the Release Notes, where most programs put them. The Manual is a Reference document of how the Audacity menus and controls (should) work, plus some tutorials about “how to do this multi-step task using Audacity”.

The e-mail release announcement for 2.0 said:

See > http://audacityteam.org/download/features-2.0 > for detailed information of New Features and
Missing features - Audacity Support > for Release Notes. See > Missing features - Audacity Support > for known remaining issues.

Your other point about searching “in one place” is valid, as you would have had to search all of audacityteam.org to search the Manual and the Release Notes simultaneously. If you want to do that, the best advice is to go to the main site http://audacityteam.org/ and use the search box top right, setting the radio button to “Wiki/Forum/Team site”.

Searching the Forum on its own can be useful, it’s one reason why our help system is public rather than private, despite many people preferring e-mail help. Clearly though you would have to search for more than just “effects” to narrow the search down.

Gale