Downsampling and exporting doesn't work

Hello
I have a file that was recorded at 48Khz/32bit. I have tried different methods of downsampling it to 44.1/16 bit (deliverable requested at this rate). Each time, it works in Audacity, and saves the file (tried both saving to new file and overwriting). However, when I open the file again, it reads as being at 48Khz.
I’ve set defaults in preferences in Audacity to 44/16. I’ve changed Project Rate in bottom left and used tracks > resample. I used right click on the file and then “rate” and “format” but it always reopens to 48/32 if I have an MP3.

I can export the file as WAV, close Audacity, and then re-open it and it will be the right settings, but if I then export that file as Mp3, it reverts to 32 bit again.

It shouldn’t be this hard to have the settings I want!!!

You can check your actual file format with MediaInfoOnline (or you can install MediaInfo on your computer).

However, when I open the file again, it reads as being at 48Khz.

The Project Rate in the lower-left of the Audacity window determines the sample rate that will be exported. It will default to match the file you opened (or the 1st file if you import multiple files with different formats). You can change it to 44,100Hz.

I’ve set defaults in preferences in Audacity to 44/16. I’ve changed Project Rate in bottom left and used tracks > resample. I used right click on the file and then “rate” and “format” but it always reopens to 48/32 if I have an MP3.

By default, Audacity works internally at 32-bit floating point internally and it doesn’t keep track of the original bit-depth.

BTW - MP3 doesn’t store individual samples like a PCM/WAV file and there is no “bit depth”.

Is the project sample rate not available in the Linux version? I have an appImage of Audacity 3.3.3 installed and don’t see it.

The Project Rate has been moved to Audio Settings.

…The rumor is that more changes are coming that will allow you to set the sample rate during export.