Using multiple output devices with different volume and balance values which are re-set automatically

I have already solved this problem [read this post below: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=129146&p=464962#p464962]. It took me a long time and a lot of tryouts - and it will take me a long time to write down and publish here my know-how. But I was wondering, if someone else had a same such problem and came up with an A-OK working solution? I just fear that my solution will stop working some day, like when I will be forced to move from Windows 10 to Windows 11; and thus I would like to have some ready to use alternatives or at least know where to start with making them

And if it is not clear, what is it that I am after, it is a ready to use PC in a state that has my optimal settings applied to more than one output device. So that after a reset of system performed after some untypical for me work I will not waste time on restoring desired volume levels in devices or in case I completely forget to restore settings, I will not continue to use a slightly off balanced stereo channels for my daily workload, only to discover days later that I was listening to files without their playback being centered

Windows audio-enhancements can interfere with recording & playback.
They should be turned off if you want faithful (& consistent) audio
see … https://youtu.be/eXGyAzk3fd4?t=50

By my optimal settings I meant volume level and balance - and not enchantments

But as I have just checked, this solution of mine that I use does not interfere with these settings available at
Control Panel > Sound > [DEVICE] > Properties > Enchancments
Control Panel > Sound > [DEVICE] > Properties > Advanced > Signal Enchancments
Control Panel > Sound > [DEVICE] > Properties > Spacial Sounds

thus using it would be nevertheless wise to disable them, to avert such potential

So thank you for remembering me about those settings

When you finally do get around to it, let us know. The forum is here for you to share you knowledge and wisdom with other Audacity users. :smiley:

After having tested different approaches and trying to deal with various issues, I can share this core know-how in regards to Windows 10 [and probaby also Windows 7}:

● Each device can have its own volume value and its own balance value

● There is no balance feature for some wireless audio transmitters

● The name of any sound device can be changed at

Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Sound > Playback > [DEVICE] > Properties > General > [FIELD AT THE TOP]

But if so- then it must be also matched later on by files / scripts that evokes them

● Unplugging / disabling a device before a system boots up can make such device gain a new / default Description [which can be then re-changed later on] and can also make it gain a new coded ID in Registry [which will force user to generate a new script containing this new Key]

As for more specifics:

NirCmd by NirSoft is a free software that allows for a quick thus convenient change of many things- including the choice of output sound device and its volume. It can be run in form of LNK scripts and from command line

SoundVolumeView by NirSoft is a free software that allows for a greater control over audio setup than NirCmd. It can be run in form of LNK scripts and from command line - and operates on Sound Profiles with various settings of devices loaded into it [thus loaded to the operating system]. User can load multiple devices at once [i.e. everything] or just some parts of 1 or 2 devices

SimpleSndVol is a free software that restores in Windows 7 and Windows 10 the ability to easily change [although by hand] balance of audio between the left and right channels

● When a user needs to have in Tray after system’s startup ready-to-use balance options [i.e. icons of _**SimpleSndVol**_] then a user must indulge in a headache inducing preparation of set of commands utilizing carefully performed proper NirCmd and SimpleSndVol evocations in a precise order and with time delays between them. This whole process is glitchy

● If more than two speakers set will be used, being able to load up their balance thorough a Sound Profile / SPR file is be much easier than trying to accomplish this using NirCmd

● When run by clicking an icon pinned to Taskbar of Windows and by clicking representing it LNK file placed in

C:\Users\YOUR-USER-NAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

the SimpleSndVol looks and behaves differently than when it is run from its EXE and from a LNK file leading to it

[u]To summarize [and explain]:
[/u]
Use SoundVolumeView and then one instance of SimpleSndVol. But if this does not cover all of your needs, then use also NirCmd or just NirCmd instead of SoundVolumeView - but expect illogical behaviors to occur, battling which can take hours before being able to come up with a working solution in a form of e.g. a BAT script holding all of the needed commands

Thank you for sharing the results of your research. :smiley: