burning wav files to cd

I wanted to give a CD to someone with a 10-hour audio book. The book was made with audacity. I’m understanding that a CD can only contain an hour or so of audio. Is that correct? If so, what do you recommend I do?

That’s true. Originally the limit was 70 minutes but that’s been extended a bit and 80 minutes seems to be standard.

A couple of times I bought an audiobook on CD and it was several discs.

You can burn MP3s onto a CD and play it on a computer, or transfer the MP3s to a computer, but a standard CD player won’t play it. Most DVD players can discs with MP3 but it’s not part of the standard so they are not required to play MP3.

With MP3 or other compressed formats you can calculate file size from the bitrate which is kilo_bits_ per second. There are 8 bits in a byte so divide by 8 to get kilo_bytes_ per second. According to my quick calculations, at a bitrate of 128kbps you should be able to get more than 10 hours on one CD.

P.S.
I would also be possible to make an “audio only” DVD with Dolby AC3 audio (also compressed) that will play on any DVD player but you need DVD authoring software to get the proper file/folder format and an optional menu.