Bug - Envelope tool - control points after copy/paste

Hi,
Here’s a bug I’ve encountered numorus times: after copy/pasting bits of a track, the envelope tool does not
work. Specificly, trying to place a new control point is messed up: sometimes you can’t place a control point
at all, sometimes it places it far back from where you clicked. Again, this happens after copying and pasting some
audio in the track.

OS: Window 10. Audacity Version: 3.2.3, downloaded from official site.
Thanks,
Ran

I can’t reproduce this on W10 with 3.2.3

Peter

There are a couple of known envelope-related issues: Audacity creates an extra Envelope Point when copying a selection to the same track. · Issue #4076 · audacity/audacity · GitHub
Copied clip with envelope points starts before zero. · Issue #4035 · audacity/audacity · GitHub
Also, see: Issues · audacity/audacity · GitHub

but none of these seem to describe your issue.

Can you reliably recreate your issue with a brand new project, using Generate, say, Chirp, to create audio ?

If so, please post instructions to do so - the developers need to know.

Hi,
Ok, I think I managed to reproduce the bug reliably: it happens when after pasting an audio bit, the track becomes longer than the original length.
Here’s a link to a GIF showing the bug:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HU2qI4oeUYZwu3VTiWxKhXgkNB0rCHa0/view?usp=share_link

1. Generate Chirp, 30 seconds.
  2. Play with envelope tool.
  3. Copy and paste part of the audio, so that the end result exceeds 30 seconds.
  4. Try the envelope tool again, in a point past the 30 seconds mark.

Let me know if this helps
RL

A trouble issue has been reported to the developers based on your research: Paste shifts Envelope Points elsewhere in track · Issue #4250 · audacity/audacity · GitHub

We’ll see what the developers do with it. :wink:

Thank you! much appreciated :slight_smile: RL