Video no longer converts to audio

For the past couple of years I could drop any mp4 video into audacity and it automatically converted it to audio. I got a new computer, Win 11, newest audcaity version, added and installed the ffmpeg and Klite files, same settings, etc - now it gives me this message “XXXX is an advanced audio coding file. Audacity cannot open this file. You need to convert it to a supported audio format such as WAV or AIFF.” But Audacity IS the converting mechanism and flawlessly so for years. What changed and what is the fix?

Thank you,
wrswaim

Make sure to install the [u]Audacity version of FFmpeg[/u] and assuming you are running the 64-bit version of Audacity, use the 64-bit version of FFmpeg.

After running FFmpeg_5.0.0_for_Audacity_on_Windows_x86_64.exe, FFmpeg should be installed to C:\Program Files\FFmpeg For Audacity and Audacity should find it automatically.

Well for some odd reason, after several un & reinstalls of the 64 bit version and the 64 bit version of ffmpeg it finally worked. Thank you. I literally had done that and only had the 64 bit versions all this time and it wouldn’t work no matter what I did.

Thanks again!
Walt :smiley:

I’m using Windows 10. I’m having the same problem. I install Audacity, install FFmpeg for Audacity. Audacity doesn’t find the FFmpeg library. When I go to Edit > Prefs > Libraries and choose Locate, it lets me browse to the avformat-59.dll file. I click OK. It doesn’t retain the information. Still reads as “FFmpeg library not found”. This worked up until very recently, I have no idea why Audacity isn’t accepting a library update. Thoughts?

You don’t say how you are installing FFmpeg. What is the name of the web site and program you download ?

Also, you don’t say if you are running 64-bit or 32-bit Audacity; nor do you say which version of Audacity you are running.

To find out whether you are running 32- or 64- bit Audacity, click Help > About Audacity > Build Information, then look at the 3rd line: “Build Type”